Author Topic: Vintage Brit Twin Questions from a Rookie  (Read 9179 times)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 10:09:11 pm
  Wonder if they put the right springs back in your forks.  Probably not the worst thing to operate with, but still not correct.  Or maybe not enough fork oil.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 01:21:58 am
CJ,
Thanks again for the valuable tips.
The frame and forks are for sure from a '68 t120...and i think the forks and front wheel/brake are as well.

When i hit the front brake, the forks 'dive' and don't return quickly, unless i bump the handlebars downward. I know the forks were honed, due to being dimpled from a previous owner using too long of a bolt to attach the front fender, and the bolt dimpling the fork tube in.

What you have to figure out is what you have.
Although they all looked the same there were many different changes to the Trumps over those years.
Mine usually rebounds pretty freely as all the dampening is on the down stroke and very little on the upstroke.
I would flush the forks out real well and run some ATF in em for awhile and see what happens. Might just need some cleaning and breaking in.

The 68 was the first year of the TLS front brake. The cable came out the bottom of the backing plate and went back towards the motor and then curved up through an eye in the front fender and up. They only used that brake 1 year.
In 69 it was the same brake but they added a lever that the cable hooked to and the cable ran straight up parallel with the fork tube.
67 down used roughly the same SLS drum brake.

As much as I try I can't get my Trump to handle as good as a Bullet.
I'm sure a Ceriani front end and a good set of shocks would do it but I've been trying to keep it as stock as I can stand.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"