Author Topic: Battery to back pannier  (Read 4055 times)

cptdaddy

• Neophyte
on: October 10, 2009, 06:14:40 pm
I want to move the battery. With the sidecar, I've got plenty of room and a am willing to sacrifice an ammo can to hide the battery.  Has anyone tried this? Or perhaps someone could give me the reason others may have thought of this grand idea and then dismissed it. 

Thanks for all your help!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 08:15:42 pm
For one thing, if the battery is not secured, all the bumping and shaking my do some long term damage.

Mainly- you need a lot of venting somehow (drilling holes?)  Vapor collects and will corrod the metal case it sits in.  That goes for the trunk of the SC, too. 
I saw one person fabricate a box that was welded to the passenger peg.  Out of the way, secure, and plenty of vetilation.
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:00:27 am
Some of the Ural riders on the Soviet Steeds forum run car batteries and total loss systems. They run the batteries in the trunk, sometimes between the trunk and tub.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 05:41:51 pm
If you get a gel cell or one of those newer AGM batteries (specifically a smaller marine battery) those don't need much if any venting.  I've seen some videos on jaylenosgarage where he says he uses marine cells in his classic cars with hidden batteries to avoid corrosion.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:31:56 am
 Running a Sealed Lead Acid Battery in my freeway bike and Absorbed Glass mat in the Bullet.  Love them.
 Marine batteries of the deep cycle variety are not made for cranking.
We ruined a couple using them in that capacity.
 The plates are constructed to give out small amounts of electricity over a long period of time rather than the large amount in a short time span as required by starter motors.

I have had good luck with Optima sealed batteries in my jeeps. There are other brands.

If the smallest automotive sealed battery wont fit then perhaps  larger motorcycle or industrial battery would do the job.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:26:14 am
Well true bulleteers don't use e-start so cranking shouldn't be a problem

8)
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 03:47:14 pm
Well true bulleteers don't use e-start so cranking shouldn't be a problem

8)
Guess I'll never be a true bulleteer, then.  As I like to say, "if the Maker had intended for us to keep kick starting, he wouldn't have allowed us to develop electric starters."

For those who like to kick start, as the old Southern comedian Brother Dave Gardner used to say, "let that be not their punishment but their reward."

For me, my old knee breathes a sigh of relief everytime I hit the ES button.  I have never KS'd my AVL, and don't intend to unless its a dire necessity, and I make no apologies for it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:15:29 pm by Alaroyal »
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

cptdaddy

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 11:50:21 pm
So, I decided to do it.   I had to get to the ignition coil in a pinch and the battery was making my life difficult.  So, I got it out of the way.  Here is my work in progress.  Comments and suggestions are welcomed.  Especially if I just set myself up to explode. 

So here's the plan. I took off the battery carrier and used it as an internal mount in the back left ammo can. I drilled 4 holes in the can.  1 for wires, 2 for the mounting bolts and 1 for extra ventilation.  I put a 4x4 block of wood underneath the mount for added stability.  I had to reroute a couple wires and you can see where I decided to use my new ground.  It's the seat bolt.  (Will this prove to be a shocking ride?) 

I also switched to a non resister plug (NGK B8ES) and wouldn't you know it, the rig fired right up.  I actually did a little dance.  (Is that normal?)

pics 165, 166 are me testing the battery before the install of the ammo can. 

pic 167 is all the room I freed up.

pic 168 is some weather stripping I placed on the ammo can while I had it out to reduce that banging sound, and hopefully dampen vibrations. f

more pics to follow

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 11:07:19 pm
So, how's this? Real Bulleteers do whatever the hell they want with their thumbs!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 02:24:47 am
So, how's this? Real Bulleteers do whatever the hell they want with their thumbs!!!

I resemble that remark !
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 03:00:04 am
 :D :D :D
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla