Author Topic: loose controls  (Read 3275 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
on: November 03, 2007, 08:46:20 pm
Hello everyone!
                          My bike got knocked over and now the L.H. turn signal/decompressor etc. control is a little loose on the handlebar and I cannot seem to tighten it any further. Any suggestions?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 12:13:18 am
Jon, the switches are pinned. if it's loose you probably broke or bent the pin. Also, check the housing for any cracks. If everything checks out you can wrap the handlebar with a turn of electrical tape under the switch. Trim off any tape showing. You will probably have to re-tape periodically.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 04:08:17 pm
Agree with Vince. Pin has probably been knocked off. Might be a blessing in disguise depending on your year of bike as I had to re drill the hole on my 2003 so that the clutch lever didn't hit the decomp cable where it exits the case. Much better now!!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

willbarter

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:34:15 pm
The pin on my decomp control broke as well, probably while maneuvering the bike to park it . With the sidecar and steering damper there is a lot of pushing and pulling to parallel park especially on a hill.

I was going to replace the plastic pin with a steel one but there was not enough material to drill and epoxy to. I took some 400 grit wet / dry sandpaper, folded it grit side out and slipped it in between the handlebar and switch. It is working so far, then again in the long run all solutions are temporary.  Don 
'02 Classic with Cozy Rocket sidecar. Branford CT
"Ride like lightning, Crash like thunder."

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:02:17 am
 Great feedback everyone! I think I will tackle this project tomorrow. It hasn't proven to be a big deal anyway. Always grabbed the control when I was decompressing anyhow, so nothings changed really. Never have had a problem with the cable interfering until after the control came loose so perhaps that is a problem that has been corrected on the newer bikes.