Author Topic: G5: To Kick or not to Kick?  (Read 7124 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
on: October 09, 2009, 11:50:13 am
Hi All.
Is there a technique in kicking up the Efi G5. Because it has a kick starter, I want to occasionally start it up via the foot!
I have as yet failed to start the beast from cold,- that is, and have as yet been unable to start it. I always finish up using the electric start, after kicking untill I am blue in the face.
Has any body else had any luck, is there a technique. Is it no throttle, full throttle, 1/2 throttle, etc .
I get the impression that when kicking, the engine is not turning enough to catch and fire, although it starts OK when hot.
Any thoughts.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:52:11 pm
As far as I can tell there is no technique involved to kickstart a G5. Just fold out the kicker and kick. Almost like kicking a twin.
The art form of kickstarting one of the old iron barrels is lost on the G5.
I usually kick it once and if it don't start I push the button.
Call me a puss,
CJ 
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 03:53:18 pm
Well, there is an auto-decompressor system on the cam, which requires 500 rpms speed to overcome it.
So, if your kick isn't about the speed of 500 rpms or more, then it's leaving the decompressor open.
You don't actually need to make it turn at 500 rpms. You only need to kick it so that it moves a short rotation at that kind of speed, to overcome the decompressor.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:39:31 pm
If the Maker had meant for us to kick start, he wouldn't have given us electric starters.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:43:22 pm
If the Maker had meant for us to kick start, he wouldn't have given us electric starters.

LOL,, this from someone with an IronBarrel.... 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

davem

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 11:38:14 pm
Hi Martyn.I find giving it full choke on a morning gives me the best results.When its warm just a little throttle.Find compression and give it some wellie. Can't say it never fails if but i'm confident i could start it if the electric  start ever failed. Dave.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 11:46:55 pm
Hi Martyn,
As posted, a little "Choke" when cold, no throttle opening and a bloody good kick, hasn't failed yet. When warm a small bit of throttle is all that's required.

Cheers  :)

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 01:57:23 pm
LOL,, this from someone with an IronBarrel.... 
? ? ?   I have an AVL, not an iron.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 02:54:35 pm
"Give it some wellie"- that's great! 
I used to sell boots, but I wonder how many Americans would know what that means?
Run what ya brung

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 03:58:40 pm
Cor Blimey,---Why did'nt I think of that. If they had called the Manual Bi Starter -- Choke, then I may have tried that. Thanks

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 08:21:17 pm
This was a a cold damp morning and my knee was very painful, a reminder of the good old days. You guys can keep your kick starters.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 10:23:13 pm
I used to kick start my old Honda XR 500, same technique as I use to kick my RE AVL 500.

1) Straddle the MC, use right foot to slowly push the stiff kicker till you feel a heavy resistance spot (TDC) slowly push approx 1 inch or 4mm more to open the exhaust valve.DO NOT push down any further.

2) Lift up on the kicker ( All the way), now ( hopefully a crowd has formed by now) and now kick the kicker through, like Steve McQueen would.......probably wouldn't hurt to crack the throttle approx an 1/8 turn or so.

3) Give the crowd a 2 finger wave ( clutch hand ,between shifts) as you ride away.

4) A toothpick or cigar in mouth can add to the ambiance of the moment, but  requires
much thought and practice to pull off smoothly, I would recommend this to the more seasoned riders.

I don't use  my decompresser , practice makes perfect
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:42:03 pm
That sounds real good REpozer.
Do you use the tooth pick, stuck in the cigar to hold it, to prevent burnt fingers, when cigar is reduced to a butt?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 05:07:12 am
That sounds real good REpozer.
Do you use the tooth pick, stuck in the cigar to hold it, to prevent burnt fingers, when cigar is reduced to a butt?

Again, practice makes perfect. :D
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Livesteam45

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 01:35:53 pm
"Give it some wellie"- that's great! 
I used to sell boots, but I wonder how many Americans would know what that means?

Why "Wellington Boots" of course.......
         Hope to be purchasing a G5 or C5 in Spring 2010. It will be my first.