Author Topic: Gear Shifting On RE 2008  (Read 3162 times)

Royalpunjabi

• Scooter
on: October 08, 2009, 04:26:38 am
What is Correct way of shifting gears? and what speed should i shift to 2nd, 3rd , 4th and 5th..

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:36:54 am
Pull in lever, move shift pedal, remove hand from lever, let go of pedal.  These bikes are odd as you don't just click it into gear - you have to let go of the clutch lever first or sometimes it misses the gear.

As far as what gear at what speed, it depends entirely on load.  You don't want to lug the engine down, but conversely these have a lot of torque in the LOW RPMS, not high-up.  First gear really is only for getting off of from a start, and Fifth gear is really only for top-speed cruising.  Anything in-between is your choice.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 02:42:21 pm
I just very recently had to re-learn shifting.  I thought my freshly rebuilt tranny was at fault.  Turn out the clutch needed some minor adjusting and I had to shift a little less aggressively.  Also, I had to let the clutch out BEFORE I let my foot of the shifter.  Now shifts like a dream.
geichal

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:33:51 pm
I disagree with 5th being for top speed cruising. If your going 35 mph real speed and your not hard on the throttle, 5th gear is perfectly fine. If you lug the bike a little while you learn where to shift, so what, It will not die from a little lug. Lugging hurts any engine if it's lugged all the time. You can feel a lugging condition.

Shift at different speeds, experiment, learn your bike. It's almost "Bullet' proof unless your going for high revs. Don't go there.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:56:53 pm
Pull in lever, move shift pedal, remove hand from lever, let go of pedal.  These bikes are odd as you don't just click it into gear - you have to let go of the clutch lever first or sometimes it misses the gear.

Really? This is the first time I've ever heard that.  All the shifting problems I was having months ago, two threads, both full of replies, and no one ever mentioned that. ???

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:16:23 pm
I like to cruise thru  small towns and resort area's  at just above idle. It will beg for mercy if I ask for power, but at barely enough throttle to keep moving, it's a sound and feel kinda thing. The sound of thump thump draws lots of attention. It's not lugging, just putting.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on