Author Topic: royal piece of crap  (Read 8785 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 08:14:40 pm
I agree that  a dealer diagnostic session would be worth the cost and bother. These bikes are straightforward but you can be led down the garden path by the symptoms that you are getting.

I spent a lot of time, and some money, fixing my bike's apparent carburation and ignition problems but it turned out that poor head gasket fit was the root cause of its low engine speed glitches.

It rides nice now but was very frustrating before.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 02:02:16 am
Just went over 6k with no problems ever.. just lubricated all the cables today and probably changed the oil tomorrow...the atf and gear lube i do at 5k mark....chain gets lubed a couple times a year....haven't had to adjust anything yet...chain still in spec, bike starts up on 2-3 kicks/so why mess with it...i am going to change out the fork oil next week or so for the hell of it...i'm on my second spark plug but i only did that because i have 4 new ones stashed away....the points look good as i clean then up at the end of each summer season (i do have a new set in case)...i drive normally 45-55 but give it the 60 plus on a good stretch of straightaway every chance i get.......i wouldn';t call it a piece of crap...i do check the hardware and to be honest i almost lost my back tail light but tighten it back up in 5 mins...i love this damn bike...i feel safer on this than my yamaha 1100 due to the fact that its so manuverable...not a interstate bike for sure but u have to be a damn idiot to crash on it.....i'll keep my poc..cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 02:29:30 am
As for low battery problems, I too was having these problems when I first had the bike. The problem  I discovered after some poking around was with the main ground that is located between the battery box and the frame. No matter how much I tightened the bolt, the ground would still wiggle between the battery box and the frame, even though the battery box remained snug. I moved to the ground to the other side of the frame and placed it directly beneath the head of the battery box bolt and have had no electrical issues since.
when i routed the breather line up and back a while ago, i found alot of play in the bolt that holds the battery tray and air filter bracket. i removed all and filed the paint off the frame where that ground attaches for a good contact. i understand why you had to check yours. thanks
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 02:32:09 am
I spent a lot of time, and some money, fixing my bike's apparent carburation and ignition problems but it turned out that poor head gasket fit was the root cause of its low engine speed glitches.

It rides nice now but was very frustrating before.
i read a post a while back inthe forum from someone whose dealer voluntarily changed the head gasket as part of warranty check. apparently the gasket is an issue
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: October 09, 2009, 03:28:15 am
    Sorry to hear about your problems with your Bullet. I have a 2007 Classic "iron head" Bullet with about 2600 miles on the clock. I have thought many times that I may be a lucky one, as mine has been pretty trouble free. I have left the points in mine, as it starts well and runs pretty well too.Other than changing filter and fluids, adjusting and lubing the chain, airing tires, adjusting the rear brake, and messing with the idle air screw adjustment-oh and reinstalling the kick start lever after it fell off on a ride on Vashon Island, its been good. I never use the electric start-I don't even know if its still working. I have charged the battery once. One time it wouldn't start and the ampmeter wasn't working. I took a closer look and found the kill switch was in the no run position (felt pretty stupid!). I did foul one spark plug during early break in. I ride at 40-45 mostly, and occasionally at 50. Once I ran it up to 60 to see how it did, but decided whats the point?
    I would load that Bullet up and take it to the dealer at this point. Sometimes, when a guy just gets totally frustrated and fed up its time for help.
    Other than some used clunkers I've bought and regretted buying in the past, buying the Bullet was a little scary for me. I had heard a lot of negatives about them. But being an old geezer that actually rode British motorcycles in their hayday, I was just so taken with the Royal Enfields  that after a test ride at Vince's, I had to buy my green Bullet.

Let your dealer check it for you. Its time for someone with a new perspective to look at it.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: October 09, 2009, 03:49:10 am
I am nearing 16000 miles on my bullet and it has been more fun than a person deserves.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #36 on: October 09, 2009, 05:39:43 am
I am nearing 16000 miles on my bullet and it has been more fun than a person deserves.

I can't agree more. My first 2 years were the hardest... 
 I kept messing with it. More than 1/2 of my issues were self created.
                         **   IFITAINTBROKEDONTFIXIT  **
  This was a hard thing to do but after 7 years and over 30,000 miles
        it werks for me - Mike

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: October 09, 2009, 10:33:39 am
Hi RideOn

I also nearly gave up.  I had a hell of a time with the Sprag (now removed as with es) and then the carb.  My carb problems were due to two things (jetting aside).  With the help of our friends here I managed to isolate every problem 1 by 1 and eliminate them.  As I havent followed your posts I dont know if you have been over these but just in case:

1. Dodgy carb flange rubber (loose, perforated, deformed, too much weight)
This has plagued me for a long time.  Make sure the flange is still intact and secured well at the head.  The carb has to be well fittted and secured so as not to have airleaks and not too tight clips or it will split.  If using an external cone filter then support it against the top of the frame with some ties or it will break the rubber or bend it down causing airleaks.  Chuck some duck tape round it to test.  This caused me 90% of the running problems including roughness at speed and idle, backfiring through carb, overheating due to leanness and crappy performance.  I now use a generic flange that seems to be holding up better.

2. Float bowl height to high.
Basically caused nightmare starting problems and backfires due to flooding.  It was worse when hot.  I just pulled it down a bit.

I am not a mechanic but have learned a lot.  Now (touching wood) she is perfectly.

Good luck. 

Royal Bulleteer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: October 09, 2009, 04:45:38 pm
I feel your pain man ... I just got my Bullet about two weeks ago and it's been a real pain in the ass.  The previous owner didn't ride it enough and it developed all sorts of bugs that I'm having to iron out.  Luckily I have this forum and the great people on here to help me.  Luckily I have a job that allows me to leave work at work and have tons of free time in the evenings and the weekends when my wife is busy :)

I don't know what your financial situation is but I would recommend you tow it back to the dealer and tell them to look it over or you're bringing it back and taking your money back.  They can and will probably figure it out.

If I can't get all my issues sorted out with carbing, exhaust and what not then I'm going to take it to a reputable Brit shop a few miles up the road and I'll be willing to drop the dime get it back up to peak performance because even though it's been a major pain in my ass it's WAY more fun to ride than the Vespa I gave up ... and I don't look like a tool on it ;-)

You could always get rid of it too and get yourself a Triumph or something else.  I've thought about that myself.  But this Bullet and I are bonding and I'm learning about Brit bikes which is fun ... I'm perverse though.

Z

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 04:04:12 am
How boring it would be if a bike didnt need fixing . I get up in the morning and  say to myself ' now shall i fix it or ride it"  i usually find something to fix.

I was told before I bought the bike that they need constantd fiddling with, Great I thought.   They would need a few months ironing out various probs --oh what joy I could'nt wait to get it.

I hate Hondas for that, they never ever give trouble, bloody things going on and one without a hitch, starting first time every day ,---what a piece of crap.

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 06:00:48 am
How boring it would be if a bike didnt need fixing . I get up in the morning and  say to myself ' now shall i fix it or ride it"  i usually find something to fix.

I was told before I bought the bike that they need constantd fiddling with, Great I thought.   They would need a few months ironing out various probs --oh what joy I could'nt wait to get it.

I hate Hondas for that, they never ever give trouble, bloody things going on and one without a hitch, starting first time every day ,---what a piece of crap.

i know what you mean. god forbid we spend more time riding than wrenching
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 06:02:29 am
Sorry to hear about your troubles.  
 My Iron barrel bullet was a PITA at first. It had set un ridden for some time.
Sorting it all out was educational to say the least.  

If you do decide to part ways with your I.B. Bullet, I do hope its in a trade in towards a AVL or better yet a UCE powered machine.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

coinzy

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 12:34:16 pm
Sorry to hear of your problems,have you tried looking at the fuel tank breather?I had this problem once that went on for months,engine would just stop unexpectedly.I finally nailed it when i rode with the fuel cap up that solved the issue.The next thing was finding the small hole,took ages but a needle was all it took to open it a little.
Another thing,my '05 has over 60k klm's all on points,no issues.
But i do agree the quality is bottom of the ladder but i've owned +20 bikes harley's, bm's
and i've never enjoyed riding as much as the Bullet.I agree with clamp,relax,if you can afford it park it up for a few months and get someone experienced in these bikes around to help out,they can be got reliable but they're not for everyone either.
the coinz     

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 12:06:57 am
Think about it, You could own six RE motorcycles for the price of one Indian Chief.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 12:29:28 am
i piddled with 'er today and did a few things. i removed the paf, or whatever that recirculating mess is from the exhaust and plugged the hole in the carb flange. i also removed the de-comp. there was a bit of seepage around it and i have been able move the piston fairly easy before with the kick. a little trip to the hardware store from hell is in order monday. it's a kubota dealer that sits across from two plants and keeps a helluva stock of nuts and bolts for their maintenance depts. i'll get plugs for both locations.

i  have to go to myrtle next week for a football game and so i called a metric dealer there. they said they have a great range of jets, so i'll try a new set. i have a 120/25 now and just can't imagine thaose from keeping it from starting, but with things, who knows.

otherwise, i swapped the original carb hose out with radiator hose and two heavy duty clamps awhile back. the carb sits in there nice a firm with very little play so i'm thinking i'm good there. i also put a rubber fuel line in place of the original clear (including a filter) to provide a little more flex with the vibration. the carb bowl stays good and full. we'll see
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic