Author Topic: UCE lack of ammeter  (Read 3150 times)

bergerac

• Scooter
on: October 08, 2009, 03:41:22 am
First post so please be kind  ;)
I'm looking seriously at the G5. Plan is to use the kick-start whenever possible.

Recently returned from India riding 1990's bullet through Rajasthan, had a blast!
Kickstarting was a breeze once you got the hang of it.
Compression release lever held, gently down on kickstart looking at ammeter for right position, kick. Easy. After a while, you sort of knew when piston was in correct position and the ammeter confirmed it.

I see the G5/C5 does not have an ammeter. I wondered if anyone had fitted an external ammeter to complement the vintage look and more importantly to be able to constantly monitor the charging state rather than the all encompassing malfunction warning light ?
cheers Larry in Perth

2009 Black G5

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 04:09:17 am
Hi Larry,

I've just recently purchased a new G5. The reason I went with the G instead of the C was the dual seat and the kickstarter. I never had a lot of faith in English electrics...just carried over I suppose. The new engine has an automatic decompressor so the amp meter is not required in that regard anymore. I normally use the kick start  and it's never failed to start first or second kick. I also use it first up to push a bit of oil up in the engine prior to starting it. I've only got just over 500 k's on it but so far brilliant, no more Jap Rockets !!. Lots of local info available on Aussieenfields.com.au.

Cheers from Ernie in Bowen (Qld)  :)

bergerac

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 06:08:40 am
Hi Ernie,

An automatic decompressor--- aaaha.. well well, things get better the more I read. Just sold the Speedmaster so a black G5 looks pretty certain as time goes on.
Have sure learnt a lot reading through all the marvellous informative postings on this forum, thanks fellas!
Let us know how you get on with your 1st service, Ernie.
cheers Larry

2009 Black G5

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:28:00 am
Hi Larry

I posted a brief version of the first service under First service on this site the day before yesterday. I don't have a dealer for 700km so it was learning experience.

Cheers

Ernie :)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:41:29 pm
Retro-fitting an ammeter up by the headlight would be awkward, as it is such a major connection node, and the headlamp side of the harness would have been pretty much built around it had been included at the outset.

A voltmeter would be piece of cake by comparison, since you only need to put it between ground and any positive accessory feed.

A voltmeter will give a good indication of charging activity and a direct indication of battery condition when the engine is not running.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 02:06:39 pm
CMW has the PERFECT solution to this little problem. Their Z90012 LED volt meter will mount very discretely on the handlebar at the stem and it features green, yellow and red LED lights to indicate the level of charge going on in the system. It's an easy install and at $34.95 - well worth it!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!