Author Topic: Lifter Noise ???  (Read 10246 times)

oops

• Neophyte
on: November 01, 2007, 06:12:53 pm
I have recently bought an 04 Bullet w/ Cozy. So I am new to Enfield but not to motorcycles. My problem  is after engine warms up and have been riding for 15-20 minutes the bike gets a metallic clacking that sounds like it is coming from the lifters.
It is beyond me since the noise is not there when the motor is cold and it does not happen continuosly. Any Suggestions? ???

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:41:09 pm
Adjust your valves for the peace of mind maybe - but *some* lifter noise is quite normal.

the trick to learn w/experience is recognizing the difference between "normal" and "Excessive".

cheers,
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:08:47 pm
We don't sell T-Shirts that say "Loud Valves Save Lives" for no reason
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/royal-enfield-loud-valves-vintage-style-tshirt-p-159.html
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 10:45:24 pm
If it is an iron barrel engine, tighten the valves with the engine warm until it is difficult to turn them with your fingers. This will get rid of most of your noise. Then buy one of those great t-shirts from CMW that Kevin was talking about.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 12:39:51 am
One can actually feel up and down movement of the pushrods with your fingers if the tappet clearance is too great.  That's where mine were at after the first 300 miles.

After my initial break-in miles, I adjusted with the engine cold to the point where I could still rotate the pushrods with some ease but there was no pushrod up and down movement at all.  They are still at this point with 2300 miles.

I get some mild valve train clatter but it is like solid lifters on car V-8's philosophy - better have them a wee bit loose (within parameters) with some clatter, then to burn up valves that aren't fully seating.

And with RPM ranges not exceeding 5000 RPM there are no valve train harmonics issues.

I ride with earplugs plus a full coverage helmet - I can't hear the valves at cruising speeds anyway.  The earplugs are to save what hearing I have left.  It can sneak up on you and is not very nice.  Around too much engine noise and gunfire in my life.  Add in 60's rock concerts...

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:00:49 pm
Dewjantim & F.A
I have my pushrods on my cast iron classic 2003 set as FA states but have played with quietening them a bit as per DJT's set up then gone back to the original setup immediately (without riding it) as don't want to burn out a valve.

So, anyone want to add to the debate as to what should be the way to set the p/rods?
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 01:11:32 am
It's not an overhead cam bucket and shim high RPM engine obviously.

Twenty-three HP rocker arm motor not meant for a sustained 5000 RPM operation.  Erring on the loose side of adjustment (within parameters) should have no effect on starting, running or cam/valve timing - other than muted valve train clicking.

Possibly on a very hot day with a low oil reservoir (trying to get home after an oil blowout from a clogged breather) the cylinder head temp could run at higher then average temperatures.  On a tight valve adjustment the metal expansion on all components could (maybe) keep the valves from fully seating.  The exhaust valve would be the most vulnerable to burn - the intake not fully seating would create obvious engine running problems.

Murphy and the motorbike trolls are nasty little bastages.

Regards, Foggy

Fortiter Et Fideliter

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 05:43:47 pm
Dewjantim & F.A
I have my pushrods on my cast iron classic 2003 set as FA states but have played with quietening them a bit as per DJT's set up then gone back to the original setup immediately (without riding it) as don't want to burn out a valve.

So, anyone want to add to the debate as to what should be the way to set the p/rods?
Hey LSM, I adjusted my valves about 4500 miles ago and haven't had any burnt valve problems. I visit the Indian RE site a lot and was turned on to this method by a website suggested there. Have forgotten the site though. It did a lot toward making my engine run quieter......Dew.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:08:01 am
Hope you're right DJT, 'cos I did this set-up at the the w/end!!! Seemed OK I have to say. Quieter? Trouble is you're listening for it aren't you so I 'think so' but not sure? Need a good run out really.

It's a bit cold here for long trial runs though as about 35*F (I think that's converted correctly from *C).
Bl%dy cold and damp whatever!!!!!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 09:23:35 pm
All I can say is that it worked great for me.....Dew.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 09:51:36 pm
My first attempts to adjust valves were cold. I recently went to warm adjustments, they are quieter, and still spin at tdc. I also found my pushrods were bent. They are easily straightened in an arrow straightening jig. I used one with a dial indicator.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:42:08 am
I also found my pushrods were bent. They are easily straightened in an arrow straightening jig. I used one with a dial indicator.

Holy gosh ... Any theory on how they got bent?

Regards, Foggy

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 01:17:04 am
An arrow straightener huh!! Quite clever
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 09:11:07 pm
I purchased my Bullet used, and the neanderthol (previous owner) probably ran it like a ...............  The arrow straightener  has a bending bar, and a dial indicator. I got them straighter than the new one I purchased from Enfield. It makes the valves  hold their adjustment.
PS the spellcheck t'ain't workin
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 02:41:36 am
Lifter noise??????????  Well I guess I am getting old and deaf.   If you ride an Enfield and don't hear the lifters, you know you're over the hill.   The slide down the backside of the hill is steep and quick.         dg