Author Topic: Revival of Indian  (Read 8141 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 06, 2009, 02:18:00 pm
I hadn't heard that the Indian brand was being revived again:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/automobiles/04indian.html

Jeff

REA Member 131

• Scooter
  • I'd rather push my Enfield than ride a Harley
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:20:09 pm
That's old news. They already have dealerships.

It's doomed, however. Their cheapest model is something like $25K if I remember correctly. It doesn't take a degree in Business to know that dog isn't going to hunt in this economy.

I wish they would just let the brand rest in peace.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:39:40 pm
I remember the last time it tried to make a come back.
S&S engines and a $20K plus price tag.That was back in 2000.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:01:55 pm
there was a dealership here..wrong time to open though.. lasted 9 months and they sent back the remaining 3 to the factory..don't know if they sold any..  too expensive for my wallet

REA Member 131

• Scooter
  • I'd rather push my Enfield than ride a Harley
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:34:34 pm
There is an article about the new Indian in the November '09 issue of Cycle World. It even made the cover.

I guess they never heard of the Hanlon brothers and their Excelsior Hendersons.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:45:51 pm
  You can purchase a real Indian for lessthan a new one.  And have all the nostalgia too boot.  Heck I got a neo-Chief in the garage you can buy for less than $7k, and it's all decked out..  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:46:18 pm
They had a travelling road show a couple of months back at our local dealer (they carry Victory and Indian... no lightweights  :))

Looked at all the models - could sign up for test rides.  Rainy day so I didn't even think about it.

Listened to the sales guy talk about how he had been with Indian for several ownership changes, the new ones were very extensively researched and engineered, no discounts available off MSRP except for a deal where Indian would make six months payments up to $500 per month, and oh, by the way, the Vintage model you're looking at goes for $36,700... the two Harley guys listening rocked a bit at that one.  

Funny thing is, there were three guys looking at my Bullet in the parking lot... I talked to them longer than the sales guy...  then the best part !  

Two of the Indian owners went to leave, and one guy's battery crapped out at the edge of the lot.  Seems he had been showing his upgraded lights to his buddy and drained the battery too much to keep it running.  I helped him push it pack into the lot and they went for the charger.  Dude looked at my little fella and said, "Nice bike."  I thanked him, and Stumpy fired off on the first stroke of the kicker... ;D  He said, "Sometimes older is better, huh ?"

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan

'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:59:24 pm

It's doomed, however. Their cheapest model is something like $25K if I remember correctly. It doesn't take a degree in Business to know that dog isn't going to hunt in this economy.

Motorcycle prices in general  broke free of their moorings a while back.

In the UK:

In 1980 my new Honda 250 was 1/4 the price of a cheap compact car
Today, the cheapest 250 is 1/2 the price of a cheap compact car

The thing is that now, a whole bunch of marketing types visualise their well heeled, baby-boomer customer first then (with dollar signs in their little pink eyes) they dream up a price purely based on marketing principles, focus group feedback, etc.

Previously, engineers just tried their best to put wheels under ordinary folk who bought thriftily.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 08:04:40 pm
Original Indians (and Harleys of the time) were just motorcycles- not "cruisers".  Fun to ride, too.  Once set up, not too big of a deal- especially if you're used to a Bullet.

The best imitation Indian I've seen is the Kawasaki Drifter.  Just putting scrpt on a tank doesn't make it so, IMO.
Run what ya brung

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 08:07:48 pm
That hits the nail on the head.

The original makers weren't all wrapped up in a marketing a concept. They just tried to make the best motorcycle that they could.

The concept came later, originating in the minds of the people that bought the bikes. And that is right and proper; we know what is good; we don't need telling.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:10:04 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 11:30:49 pm
Original Indians (and Harleys of the time) were just motorcycles- not "cruisers".  Fun to ride, too.  Once set up, not too big of a deal- especially if you're used to a Bullet.

The best imitation Indian I've seen is the Kawasaki Drifter.  Just putting scrpt on a tank doesn't make it so, IMO.

Thats why I bought mine.  Whole lot cheaper than the new breed.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 11:51:37 pm
i've been following the indian re-lauch for several years. it's a cool brand but will probably only find a niche, exclusive market. terrible story behind their bankruptcy in the 50's. coming out of producing bikes for the military, the company was near broke. where was government bailout for a company that supported the war cause? history says that the final straw was subbing bikes out to royal enfield. the initial quality, as is to date, sucked and ran down indian with warranty work.

they currently target one of ten potential harley buyers, which should be easy based on the uppity attitude of some (not all) h-d'ers. indian only wants to sell about 500 '09's and 600-1000 10's. they're opening new dealerships as we speak at $2M investment each. they should have enough dough to sustain in the current economy.

i'll have one for sure. it's still an indian. '10 models include some cool collector models like the bomber and dark horse. you can get an '09 for under 25k and how many people do you know that spent that much on gold wings and h-d? they'll sell
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 01:46:42 am
Br. Mike (and Stumpy) that was a priceless post!!!   :D :D :D
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:28:10 am
I wish them luck.
I just can't get too excited about it.
It's not my style.
For that kind of money, I'd buy a Norton Manx.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 03:48:43 am
me too