Author Topic: First service G5  (Read 5326 times)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
on: October 06, 2009, 07:12:53 am
Hi all,
First service today, took all of 25 minutes (Did it during my lunch break). 481 kilometres on the clock. Change oil and filter, clean sump filter trap (Or whatever it is) Check chain adjust, battery level and spokes. Lube levers and rear brake pivot. Other than that just a little clean up. Bike is running great. The only thing that was a bit annoying was replacing the oil filter cover which is a spring loaded affair complete with a couple of dodgy looking "O" rings and an odd shaped brass washer. I was getting pretty frustrated with it all when my nephew who also works here walked up and told me to go outside and have a smoke. Came back in 5 minutes later, all was good. Something about not holding my mouth right I was told.!!. Quite a lot of metal filings on the sump plug magnet and sump trap but no major sections of internals laying in there. Max. running speed to date has been 60 - 75 kph. From now to 1000 km (600 miles) a max of 90 kph is permitted varing of course. Just an update from the land down under.

Cheers all   :)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:30:49 pm
Great report, Br. Hocko!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:08:48 pm
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 08:13:04 pm
Hocko,Did your filter look like this?

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2182
Hey! that's my filter screen. ;D James-C5's was even worse, pic attached.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:51:21 pm
Sorry I didn't take a photo of the filter. Mainly very fine metal shavings both in the filter and the trap in the sump, also on the sump plug. Nothing I didn't expect. The only thing was that the oil was very discoloured, much more so that I would have expected at 500km (300 miles aprox.).

Cheers for now  :)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:06:18 am
Just to add, I took the bike for a good run before work this morning, 75 - 90 kph for about 10 k's. Got to work and found new engine oil all over the back end of the bike. Tracked it down to oil coming up the engine breather. I changed the oil according to the handbook putting in 2.75 litres, not a drop more or less. When I rang the dealer this morning he informs me that when changing the oil he never adds any more than 2.4 litres (You'll have to do you own conversion). So a lesson learned, don't rely on the handbook being 100% accurate. Still no harm done, being an "Oilfield" it'll jettison what is surplus to needs. By the way the oil level indicator was exactly between the top and bottom marks so go figure. Another lesson learned by the uneducated.

Cheers all  :)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:52:00 am
Hey! that's my filter screen. ;D James-C5's was even worse, pic attached.
Thanks for allowing the liberty of using your photo. :)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

davem

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:55:07 pm
Hi all.
      Did an oil change today,Only 1.5 litres came out,not much muck in it,gauze filter pretty clean,just a few tiny particles on the magnetic plugs. So where 2.75 litres comes from I've no idea.Refilled with 1.7 litres (including 0.2 litres in the left side filler plug.is that really necessary?) After running it still shows a little high on the sight glass.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 12:09:55 pm
hi Dave
I'm with you on this one. I have done two oil changes on my bike now and I have measured the oil on both occasions. I took out and put in 2.75 pints (the good book says 2.75 litre)
(Please Note 2.75 pints = 1.3 litre)
On these 2 occasions the oil taken out was put in by the dealer and WS respectively.
Curious about the oil in the primary side though.
The book says nothing about this, but on Kevins Buzz Blog there is an article on the lub system. It does say that an initial charge of oil is added after an overhaul, so that oil is immediately available on start up, to lube the primary side, instead of waiting for it to be pumped round.
Regards M

davem

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:53:57 pm
Not much point in doing it then Martyn eh.Never mind tho no harm done.Just as a point of interest, I bought 4 oil filters of ebay today £3.99 + £2.45 postage. A bargan if they are ok. CU.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 04:04:53 pm
Yes But Dave, I think now, there is a need to top up the primary side IF the engine has had a complete strip down.

davem

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 10:23:34 pm
Yes Martyn i agree with you if the engine's been stripped. But not much point if it's just an oil change. Regrds Dave.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 07:31:56 am
I still need to drop the oil level, I have dropped the oil twice via the sump and then refilled until half way between the marks. But after running it appears overfull again. I put a thin extractor tube down the filler hole with the intention of drawing smaller quanities of oil out. However the small thin hose doesn't seem able to reach the oil. I can see that there is another bolt on the crankcase on the right hand side foward of the cylinder barrel, does anyone know what this is for and whether I could use this to drain off some oil. Hope this isn't too confusing  ???

Cheers from down under.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 09:36:17 pm
Hi hoko
If its the bolt/screw on the uppermost surface of the crankcase cover -this could be the timming inspection screw, part no. 570176.
You can check this out by looking at the parts list/diagram on this forum. Just search for "parts list" and let it load (its a PDF doc) you should than be able to identify the screw/bolt in question.
This may help, but I hope I hav'nt confused.
Cheers