Author Topic: JUST BOUGHT A 1957 ENFIELD INDIAN  (Read 7264 times)

WVRIDER

• Scooter
on: October 04, 2009, 04:20:59 pm
Hello, new to the forum and looking for some help.  I picked up this project for 1,800 dollars and I am trying to figure out if this was a good deal.  I have all parts to put it back to stock which is what I plan to do, because the guy before me started making it into a bobber and started changing alot of parts.  So any help on where I can get parts for this bike in case I need some would be great.  If anyone could tell me what model this bike is I think it is a Chief it has a 700cc vertical twin engine.  cant figure out how to post pics or I would. Thanks

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 05:27:54 pm
A picture or two would be a big help. If you can get the engine number from the case I can tell you roughly when it was manufactured. Early 55 & 56 and maybe some 57 Indian models had the engine number (ususlly with a letter prefix like SM, SMP, etc) stamped on the front left side of the engine case assembly. The later 57 thru 60 models had the engine numbers stamped into the left side case just below the cylinder base near the breather assembly and around the two case plugs there.

Let me know what the prefix and sequential number is and I'll let you know when it was made and what basic model it is. There was the 500cc Tomahawk twin, the 700cc Trailblazer twin, and the 700cc Apache twin manufactured that year, The Chief 700cc twin model didn't arrive till later in 1958. You can check out Phil's web-site in Australia  www.re-indian.com  for copies of the Indian Sales Corporation advertisements & sales literature for all of the Indian models of the Royal Enfield twins and singles.

If you recieved the bike with the seat/rear mud guard assy, the tool/air box with lids, the front fender with Indian head (if Trailblazer), and the intact nacell with speedo and big Lucas headlight then you have 90% of the really hard to find items. The rest can be purchased from Hitchcock's in the UK or make up with parts from other sources (Amal & Lucas parts).

If you got the bike with all that stuff then I think you got a very good deal.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 05:39:32 pm by rotorwrench »

WVRIDER

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 11:36:36 pm
Hello, and thank you for the quich response and info. I was in a hurry earlier and just figured out the pic posting.  I have attached a few pics of the bike, and it did come with the rear fender the guards the seat and all other original parts that are in a few boxes however; the pistons are out of the motor and need to be put back in it.  Any input is appreciated, thanks

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 01:42:49 am
SWEET!!!!!!!!

( you did ask for input  ;) )
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:18:26 pm
Hi, Was wondering do you have the original swingarm, shocks,rims and brakes.The front end looks like it's off a Harley are these parts in the boxes also. ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

yogi bear

• Mr James Maurice Hill
  • Scooter
  • yogi bear and enfield outside garage
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:36:54 pm
Dear WVRider.
Looking at the pictures it looks like you have some work to do on the bike.
If you intend to fully restore it back to how it was then the front and rear fender
need replacing,along with the wheels and swing arm and suspension units.
The bike looks like a700cc Meteor which enfields made before the constelation.
What name they gave it for the U.S.A. market I don't know.  If you are assuming
that the bike was made in India, then I can tell you that it wasn't, the only enfields
that were made in India are the single cylinder ones.   As I do not live in America
I cannot advise you as to were you can get spares for your project, however I
do wish you every success with it.
Yours In Enfield.
Yogi Bear. 
James Maurice HIll ::)
Mr James Maurice Hill

WVRIDER

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:58:18 pm
Hello, I am going to pick the bike up in 2 days and then I will know if all the parts are with it.  I was told by the seller that everything to make it stock was included so I am hoping however; thanks for the input.  I will know what parts to check for and ensure that they are with the bike. I do want to restore it to stock but I just want to get it on the road plus does anyone have any input on what this bike may sound like that is what I waiting to hear.  Thanks all.......

chris e grimsley

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 04:33:25 am
I think this is the bike im looking at on craigslist

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 05:28:39 am
.........I do want to restore it to stock but I just want to get it on the road plus does anyone have any input on what this bike may sound like that is what I waiting to hear.  Thanks all.......

This is what a late 50's Enfield 700 twin sounds like.  It's my '58 Indian Trailblazer I just finished restoring.  It's bored +.040 to 716cc and converted to electronic ignition with Emgo Cocktail Shakers exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgAGViibdCE

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King