Author Topic: How good is the disk brake?  (Read 2704 times)

QTreiber

• Neophyte
on: October 04, 2009, 01:09:15 am
I have been  attracted by the Bullet for years and finally did a test ride last year on one of the newer models (forgot which one) that still had the disk brake.

I was disappointed by the lack of braking power and thought that I should forget about Enfields.

Now that I see the beauty of the new G5, which has a disk brake, I am wondering if I should reconsider...

How good is the disk brake compared to the drum brake?  Is it adequate for the bike?

Thank you and greetings from Colorado,
Armin

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 06:40:13 am
Armin,

Hi from Australia, I've had no experience with the older models, but coming off a Suzuki SV650S Hpoe th with twin discs I don't have a problem with the disc on my G5. It's comprable to the power of the bike with a bit in reserve. Hope this helps.

Cheers.  :)

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 01:54:21 pm
I have an AVL with a side car, and even  two up, total weight between 900 and 1000 lbs,  the disc does a fine job, no complaints.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

REAZ

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 08:07:45 am
We've tested the brakes on several G5 and C5. The disk brake provides you with more than adequate braking power to the size of the bike. Even in case of a heavy passanger in the saddle or a couple of elephants in your side bags, perheaps both. The front (disk) brake, where most of your stopping power comes from, works great. Powerful enough and easy to modulate.
It is good to ride
REAZ

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:01:41 am
 Disc brakes beat drum brakes in every way, every day of the week especially in the rain. They don't pack up with mud off road either.

No matter where you go, there, you are.