Author Topic: this bike is pissing me off  (Read 7069 times)

spacemonkey

• Scooter
on: September 29, 2009, 05:14:22 pm
its 3 weeks after getting the nut I lost the only British standard on the bike.Ive been trying to get it on now for over an hr I added a lock washer I think that might have been a mistake now I cant seem to get in on or off.Id like to kick the guy in the balls that put this nut and bolt where you cant get to it.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 06:03:47 pm
I was able to put a spanner on said bolt , going at it from the bottom up. Of course I am not trying to start the bolt with my fingers either.
Maybe  try using a magnet to hold the nut,or tape the nut ( or something sticky) to a spanner in an attempt to get a tread started.
A cup of coffee would hurt either.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:12:36 pm
  If I'm correct and you are trying to tighten the head pipe you may need top hold the other end since that dowel goes all the way to the other side of the bike.  Aren't these grand to figure out?  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:37:09 am
Id like to kick the guy in the balls that put this nut and bolt where you cant get to it.

Me Too Me Too! Had a bad day with some fasteners myself and some low quality aftermarket items..........felt like selling the whole thing off today!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

spacemonkey

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:56:57 am
I got the damn thing on !!!(the case was pinching the nut)
But I have to say only having this bike one year I put the new sticker on tonight.I am very disappointed in the amount of work I have had to do to keep this bike on the road.Things have fallen of this bike that should never come off for any reason its not safe.I'll pay the extry 10$ bucks for washers and lock tight if it means not killing myself.I do believe that this is only going to get worse as the bike gets older.at this point I think that this bike is a total p.o.s. Its only saving grace is that its so fun to ride I wonder how fun I'll think it is when the wheel falls off.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 03:10:20 am
It's no secret that these things are owner interactive bikes.
If you think the front wheel is going to fall off now is the time to do something about it.
A tube of green locktite and an hour with some wrenches will save you a ton of heartache down the road.
I've had 4 Enfields. Gone over all of them when I got em and never lost a nut or a bolt.
Getting pissed off will do nothing to advance your situation.
Just my 2 cents.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 04:20:16 am
  I agree that these are bone shakers, but not unlike anything originally built during the 50's.  I lost more bolts/parts on my 2 Panheads/1 K mod Sporty than this bike.  You just have to get ahead of it..Loc-Tite and lock washers and the occasional Nyloc nut and bolt combo do a lot for piece of mind.

Can't say I ever lost a kick stand/air cleaner off my Enfield, happened on old Harleys alot.  Just have to modify the design here a bit.  Makes you appreciate your riding time more if you know what you're putting into the prep.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 04:55:59 am
A separation, irrespective of the facts, is never easy but, in certain cases, necessary.  Only you, however, can make the appropriate decision.  I do encourage you to make a decision to keep or to sell your Bullet.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 05:13:22 am
We could do this eBay style, say a gentleman's bet , if you wish to part with said terrible machine. :o

I start the bid at say $200 , delivered with all extra spares and clean title. ;)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 05:51:00 am
Riding any motorcycle of antiquity, whether it be a genuine antique or was built yesterday using 1950's technology, requires a certain amount of appreciation for what it is that you are riding.

I own several antique bikes (and cars) but the one I have ridden most is a 1970 Triumph Bonneville.  Over,somewhere around 40,000 miles (hard to keep track because the speedometer keeps crapping out), I have had numerous on the road episodes including mufflers dropping off, fried alternator, thrown rod, dropped valve seat, etc.

Fortunately, the more serious failures have happened close to home (Honey, bring the pick-up).  While you're out on the road, the challenge of finding a piece of fencing wire to tie the muffler back on or, searching for some guy three towns over that just might have an alternator stator for a 1970 Bonneville (he did), and installing that stuff sitting in a field with whatever is available, to me, is all part of the addiction.

If you want something that runs like a Honda, buy one.  If you are addicted to antique machinery, like I am, enjoy the challenge.

Andy
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:55:04 am
We could do this eBay style, say a gentleman's bet , if you wish to part with said terrible machine. :o

I start the bid at say $200 , delivered with all extra spares and clean title. ;)

$500
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 06:58:17 am
Think of it as a trainer to keep your manual dexterity up to par.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

spacemonkey

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 01:59:43 pm
lol Im way to hard headed to give up now your stuck with me.Ill just bitch about it fix it and enjoy the ride untill I need to do it again.I added a couple picks in members rides

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 02:38:16 pm
Riding any motorcycle of antiquity, whether it be a genuine antique or was built yesterday using 1950's technology, requires a certain amount of appreciation for what it is that you are riding.

I own several antique bikes (and cars) but the one I have ridden most is a 1970 Triumph Bonneville.  Over,somewhere around 40,000 miles (hard to keep track because the speedometer keeps crapping out), I have had numerous on the road episodes including mufflers dropping off, fried alternator, thrown rod, dropped valve seat, etc.

Fortunately, the more serious failures have happened close to home (Honey, bring the pick-up).  While you're out on the road, the challenge of finding a piece of fencing wire to tie the muffler back on or, searching for some guy three towns over that just might have an alternator stator for a 1970 Bonneville (he did), and installing that stuff sitting in a field with whatever is available, to me, is all part of the addiction.

If you want something that runs like a Honda, buy one.  If you are addicted to antique machinery, like I am, enjoy the challenge.

Andy

Profound ...... profound, indeed!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 09:27:00 pm
  The best d%^$ it for me was riding my 71 Triumph Bonnie chopper to Sturgis and having the lighting crap out at about 1 in the morning somewhere in western Minnesota on a desolate back road.  Out comes the trusty magnetic base flashlight and down the roasd to a deserted looking town we go with the flashlight barely holding onto the bars.

What a freaking rush..pulled her in behind a Conoco station to wait for daylight.  Fortunately the owner didn't freak and call the cops when he arrived to find me leaning against the bike a sleep.  Also fortunately he was a limey pro, $5 bucks for repairs and a free class on Thumper maintenance.  And `the use of his office floor to take a decent cat nap.  That's when I started learning the rules of the road, still haven't finished school on it though.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.