Author Topic: Oil pump spindle and worm  (Read 3570 times)

Johnny Singles

• Scooter
on: September 29, 2009, 01:35:15 pm
Hi, does anyone know if there is a better oilpump spindle and worm gear on the market to replace the one's currently available as these tend to wear quick.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 04:59:24 pm
Not that I know of.
You should find out why it's wearing so fast.
I know a guy that got over 60K on his and I got 21K out of mine and the only reason I replaced it is I wanted to replace the old worm with one of the newer bonded rubber ones.
A few things that that might contribute to an early failure,
Bad timing side roller bearing.
Timing side crank pinion with too much runout.
High output oil pumps.
Too heavy oil.
Over revving before oil gets hot.
Any combination of the above.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 05:05:27 pm
There is a guy in CT who makes oil pump covers that use a adjustment bolt instead of the heavy springs for the side to side play/adjustment on the spindle. If you try and spin a normal spindle with the spring pressure, it rotates VERY hard. I talked to him and he said he can spin his close to a full rotation just by flicking his finger against it.

We made some custom pieces for our pumps over the winter and it made a big difference at the amount of pressure needed to turn the spindle, which should result in less wear and longer life.
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:05:41 am
There is a guy in CT who makes oil pump covers that use a adjustment bolt instead of the heavy springs for the side to side play/adjustment on the spindle. If you try and spin a normal spindle with the spring pressure, it rotates VERY hard. I talked to him and he said he can spin his close to a full rotation just by flicking his finger against it.

We made some custom pieces for our pumps over the winter and it made a big difference at the amount of pressure needed to turn the spindle, which should result in less wear and longer life.

Hmmmm,,Sound like someone has reduced power robbing parasitic drag,,,,,,, ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.