Author Topic: Effect on top speed, acceleration, gas mileage, etc....  (Read 9188 times)

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
What effect does the sidecar have on the top speed, acceleration, and gas mileage of the RE 500. Took my wife a ride on mine a few weeks ago and couldn't feel any difference from riding solo. Just curious.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:48:39 pm
Can't speak to a cozy on an Enfield (don't have a cozy.... yet; but I did ride one briefly) but I've ridden a few hacks, including Ivan, my Ural. The hack is like sticking a sheet of plywood out to the side. Heavy plywood. Aerodynamics get much more important, for one thing. Top speed will suffer because top speed is primarily a function of horsepower vs drag, and you have the same horsepower and a lot more drag. Acceleration will suffer from the weight, but a cozy is much lighter than, for example, a Ural or Hannigan so it'll only be excruciatingly slow, not agonizingly slow. Mileage will suffer from the drag. Handling gets interesting; acceleration will make it turn right, slowing down will make it turn left. The first right turn, you might need clean shorts. You will get an upper body workout every time you go out. You will be way too busy to hold a coffee cup in one hand (like a helicopter pilot, a sidecar driver has a lot of things going on all at once). In general, a sidecar is a miserable bastard that totally screws up a perfectly fine motorcycle.

Fortunately, a well set-up sidecar is also a hoot to drive, very practical for schlepping things around, attractive to children and, shall we say, more mature ladies, alike. If you think you have a delay factor with the Enfield now, just wait 'till you see what a sidecar does. If I wasn't already married, I would be up to my ears in ladies.

The cozy rocket is a nifty little rig, a little small (tighter than the Ural) and pretty light, and can be a sweet-handling outfit. Just give up those dreams of someday going the speed limit, and settle for spending 20 minutes extra every time you park, hauling grandchildren and ladies around, and generally having a good time.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:16:06 pm
Unless, of course, you look anything like me, and nobody will come within 10 yards of you. I get zero delay factor with anything I ride.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:23:47 pm
Unless, of course, you look anything like me, and nobody will come within 10 yards of you. I get zero delay factor with anything I ride.

Well, maybe if you left the extra guns, bombs, grenades, and knives at home it might be different.....  ;D
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 02:47:27 pm
Funnily enough, the only time I have questions, is if I have a holster strapped on, and then usually from cops wanting to know if the firearm suffers from weather. I have a Walther P38 with covered holster that is great for keeping the outside off the firearm.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 02:57:18 am
Sam:  Maybe Indy uses all that "hardware" for ballast!    ::)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Digger77091

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 04:17:45 pm
I have a Bullet 500 with a Cozy rig and I din't have any difficulty in handling or making highway speeds. Of course I live in the mountains and you can't do 70 on tight mountain roads. I can get 65 on a flat if I don't have a head wind but mostly I just tool around at about 50. 40 is best on the back roads where you don't have a lot of lead  time visibility. I set up and aligned my rig myself and I've never experienced any of the scary trips I've been hearing about but maybe I did something wrong haha ;D

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 06:04:19 pm
My RE 500 ES & Cozy Bullet were set up by Perry Motors out of Tx. They did one fine job. To compensate, for the sidecar, the carb was rejetted and a larger sprocket was added.  I was told I could expect a decrease in mpg and mph. Right now my hack runs well at 45-50 mph. I usually keep her at 40-45 mph. As for mpg I don't have a good handle on that yet. Suffice it to say, you will see a decrease.

Have you "flowen" your sidecar yet? I'm thinking that's what Sam was referring to. It can be a real experience if you are not expecting it.   :o I also find his anology of a helicopter pilot to be pretty accurate.   8)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 11:26:59 pm
Flying sidecars is so much fun :)

aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 11:34:54 pm
So I've been reading about sidecars and all that may be involved. I have the Enfield already, just need the sidecar!

I did have one other question. Lets say I get the sidecar and mount it, test it out and all is good. How easy is it to remove the sidecar to go solo for a while and then remount it? Is it like setting it up all over again, or is just an hour of 're-bolting' it back on? I only ask because I like the idea of a sidecar, but there times when I may like to go solo, say if I ride to the REunion or some such thing. I realise the answer is two Enfields, but that'll be pushing the budget.

Thanks for humoring me,
Paul
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 12:51:29 am
Bandit:

I am far from an expert, but based on what I've learned from my rig: Depending on your skills, to set up a sidecar rig and get the proper alignment of the running gear can be a challenge. To quote Hough in Driving A Sidecar Outfit:

"The attachment of a sidecar to a two-wheeled motorcycle changes the structural dynamics.........The sidecar novice is encouraged to seek competent assistance in rigging a new sidecar."

They are fun, but I don't plan to take mine off. Good excuse for you to have two Enfields!!  ;)

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 02:57:03 am
Good excuse for you to have two Enfields!!  ;)

Awwww shucks  :D
Or buy a Ural I guess
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe