Author Topic: Interesting Special  (Read 2321 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 27, 2009, 09:05:44 am
October's Classic Bike Guide (UK) has a number of great home-brewed machines. Most interesting for me was a hugely re-engineered Sunbeam S8, which appears also at:

http://www.onthebeam.co.uk/Specials.html

The owner has used his ultra-bike-shed skills to sort out all of the the machine's flaws (weak shaft drive, poor cyclinder head design, weak clutch etc.).

He actually machined a new cross-flow head from a billet of alloy, into which he arranged Kawasaki valve gear.

The obvious question that weighs down on you as you read the article is: if a guy can sort the ruddy thing out in his shed, why on earth could the BSA/Sunbeam empire not get it right with the resources at their disposal?

A sister machine to this a special is featured in the same write-up. This is a "Moto-Beam" - a Moto Guzzi V50 motor dropped into a Sunbeam chassis. And I tell you what, it fits like a glove.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:40:53 pm
Those bikes are grand, I think I need one.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:49:04 pm
I think that those Sunbeams were great looking, distinctive bikes and that BSA kind of squandered a decent brand.

That episode of automotive history reminds me of all the fantastic car marques that got sucked into BMC before it morphed into Austin Rover and slowly curled up and died.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:40:55 pm
  Ever since I saw a S8 'Beam in person I've wanted one.  It sounded like nothing else I've ever heard.  And looked like it would really handle the road.  Thanks for the pics and link.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 07:57:54 am
People will excel in creativity when there is an incentive to do so.

Some how that must been lost with the Sunbeam line up.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)