Author Topic: Check oil......  (Read 5789 times)

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
on: October 31, 2007, 02:48:08 pm
Check your oil level before every ride. It only takes a few seconds and can save many $$$$$. I like mine halfway down from the full to the add mark......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 05:24:47 pm
 ;D Thats where my level likes to be. If I fill it up, it goes to halfway down, then stays!
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:08:12 am
I did just that and am in some bother. I looked at the stick in a cold engine, and was alarmed to see that it registered just a little bit of oil. I filled it up to the halfway mark, and then read that the correct way to check is on a warm engine that has been allowed to drain for a couple of minutes. When I see it that way, I now find that the level is an inch above the H mark, which is not a good thing. When I tried to undo the oil drain bolts to release some oil, I found that RE has not identified the bolts in any picture in the manual - on looking I find two potential candidates for these below the engine, but none of the supplied wrenches will fit them, the largest wrench is too small! My questions therefore, if any one could answer:
1. Is there a better and consistent way to check the level, preferably on a cold engine? And is there a similar issue with the other oil levels?
2. I now have to get the extra oil out, but I think I remember seeing some advice on that elsewhere here.
3. Am I right about the oil drain bolts, there are two underneath the engine, below where the dipstick goes into its place.
4. What size tools does one need to buy to get the ability to work on the bike - general maintenance/oil change kind of work only for now, not the kind of work that needs extractor tools and such.
Appreciate any help!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:25:53 pm
I don't count on the basic tools given out with the RE to be enough for all your maintenance needs.  They are great for fixing something minor while away from home but I would encourage you to invest in a basic mechanics tool set if you plan on repairing your bike yourself.  There are several on Ebay you could buy if your local hardware store does not sell kits like this.  I noticed auction #110186669123 which is similar to the set I use. 

Also there are three bolts for draining the oil not two on the bottom right side of the Bullet engine.  Two have a small metal screen on them and the rear most one does not.  I use brake parts cleaner spray to clean the screens before reinstalling them and you must be careful not to damage the screens during removal and installation.  Finally when I fill the oil I usually add 1 1/2 quarts of oil then add a little oil at a time after that checking the level on the dipstick until it is about 3/4 up between the H and L marks.  I then start my bike and let it run for about 30 seconds shut it down and recheck the oil level and fill it again to the 3/4 mark.  Also don't forget to wet the new oil filter with oil when you install it too.

Also on another note instead of using a turkey baster to suck oil out I would recommend this tool, http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PBI&MfrPartNumber=648756&CategoryCode=3486
It is specifically designed for that purpose and does the job most efficiently.

I hope this has been helpful.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 01:45:19 pm
Thanks, appreciate the input. How do you check the oil level in between refills? Is there a corresponding right level for a cold engine dipstick check? On the other hand if the only way to do this right is on a hot engine, can I do this after a long run, after giving the shut down engine maybe three minutes for the oil to drain back into the tank?
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 03:58:39 pm
As long as the oil level shows between the high and low marks on the dipstick you are safe to ride.  Of course if your very close to the low mark you should add some oil soon.  Originally I was keeping mine at the full mark after I had warmed up the engine but after reading the various forum posts I found the concensus seems to be to keep it at the 3/4 mark instead.  The oil will expand slightly with temperature increase but not enough to matter if you keep it filled to about the 3/4 mark, so checking it cold or hot really shouldn't matter if you are filling it this way.  As far as frequency of checking the level.  I check mine about every 100 miles or so or before I plan on taking a long drive like 50 miles or more of continuous riding.  This may be checking it a bit too often but I have had a bit of a problem with the breather spitting out oil that has kept me concerned about oil levels.  Although I have yet to see my oil level drop below the low mark ever even after driving around all day.

Aloha
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 05:39:39 pm
I check mine cold, just before I ride. If it is down on oil about 6-8 ounces will fill it to the halfway mark. Then I just ride......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 10:17:06 pm
Well you need mechanics skills to undertake the work you describe, especially on older type engines, you need to know about torque values so you don't strip bolts, when filling low oil if you are unsure add an egg cup full at a time, don't just pour it in and hope for the best, this leads to overfilling and will require some draing of the sump, when changing the oil always use the quantity volume listed in the workshop manual this is the correct starting point, do not over tighten bolts or drain plugs a torque wrench is essential or you might find you need engineering skills in order to use taps, helicoils and such like.