Author Topic: Problem on the way home from rally  (Read 8915 times)

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
on: September 27, 2009, 02:42:12 am
Alright, here is what happened on the way back from the rally. I was cruising around 70 mph when the bike started to cut out. I pulled over and it had died by the time I stopped. Tried to restart and nothing. I turned the run switch off and then on and the MIL light lit up for a few seconds like normal but the fuel pump didn't come on and of course it didn't start. Tried a few more time with the same result. After 5 or so minutes the fuel pump did come on but sounded weak. The bike started and I took off and went back to cruising around 65 mph. After a few miles it started to cut out again and died. Again no fuel pump. After a few minutes the fuel pump worked but sounded weak (The more I tried it the better the fuel pump sounded) and the bike would not restart.  I checked the fuel level and you could see some fuel in the bottom of the tank and the low fuel light was not on. Normally I wait till the low fuel light comes on then I refuel. Tried repeatedly for a half hour to start it but nothing. A guy pulled up and went and got me gas. I put in about 2 gallons and tried to start it and after 5 or so tries it started up and I rode home.

P.S. Thanks for the sticker, Dannie, love your C5! Enjoyed meeting everyone at the rally!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:46:26 am by Chris-G5 »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 03:13:01 am
Chris, sorry you had trouble, your gas light might be burned out or something simple like that. Your bike is way too clean!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:28:36 am
Yeah I'll have to check the light, but the the fuel pump wasn't coming on when it first died both times. Seems like the fuel pump would still come on even if the tank was low on fuel. In the future though I am going to rely on milage, around 210 miles, to tell when to refuel instead of the low fuel light.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:42:04 am
 I very vaguely recall some one having the same problem and it was caused by a loose connection of something or other. I do remember the fix was squeeze on the connector with a pliers.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:34:46 pm
RE must know that there just isn't any scope for random electrical glitches on this generation of their products. The electrics just have to be rock solid on the UCE models.

In general, are they?
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 06:59:34 pm
In the other thread it was discovered the side stand interlock switch disables the fuel pump...  You could try bypassing it.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 07:07:13 pm
I just got through pulling that switch off of mine ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 08:40:39 pm
RE must know that there just isn't any scope for random electrical glitches on this generation of their products. The electrics just have to be rock solid on the UCE models.

In general, are they?

There have been quite a few threads here over the last few months that would indicate not. The good news is there don't seem to be any breakdowns from really serious stuff like bearings or siezures, just low level electrical niggles - loose connections, that kind of thing. When I get my Clubman I feel tempted to go over all that stuff. On the other hand, sometimes taking everything apart for inspection can do more harm than good.

As for when I get it, there is some good news at least. After a hold up in production related to finding someone reliable to make the tank they are now making them. I won't tempt fate by saying any more than that though!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 08:46:55 pm
I've had no problems with the electronics on my C5, I just took the switch off so I could let it warm up in the side stand.
Iron Butt Association

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 10:34:13 pm
With the side stand down the MIL light and the fuel pump don't come on. With my problem the MIL light came on but the fuel pump did not.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 10:55:50 pm
I just went out to verify that the MIL light does not come on with the side stand down. Put down the side stand and turned on the run switch and the MIL light and the fuel pump came on and the bike started. :o If you move the side stand a little up from the down position then the switch works and neither the MIL light nor the fuel pump come on and the bike won't start. So yes there seems to be some problems with the electrical on these new bikes. ???

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 01:00:12 pm
The second post in a week where the sidestand switch has been found at fault. :'( I am definitely removing mine as soon as I get the bike. I prefer to use the centre stand anyway.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 08:58:21 pm
I just went out to verify that the MIL light does not come on with the side stand down. Put down the side stand and turned on the run switch and the MIL light and the fuel pump came on and the bike started. :o If you move the side stand a little up from the down position then the switch works and neither the MIL light nor the fuel pump come on and the bike won't start. So yes there seems to be some problems with the electrical on these new bikes. ???

The sidestand switch (Federally required, I might add ....) is NOT the greatest piece of engineering on the bike, for certain. You can check it by unplugging it. I also prefer the centre-stand, as it keeps the bike level side to side for the best oiling whilst warming. I'm betting the switch will the way of the PAV valve ....... everyone will have one .... in their bottom tool box drawer!  ;) Glad you made it back in one piece, CJ - You are a LEGEND at CMW! Hahahaha!!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 11:57:18 pm
"LEGEND" eh? Is that CMW code for complainer/whiner?  :D

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 04:47:08 am
"LEGEND" eh? Is that CMW code for complainer/whiner?  :D
i would imagine it more to be a LEGEND like you find on maps, as in where they should look for nooks and crannies when checking things. basically, you're taking one for the team ;)