Author Topic: How big is a sidecar?  (Read 5484 times)

Jerry

• Scooter
on: October 31, 2007, 02:01:15 pm
Is there any information on the length, width, height of the Cozy?  Do the seats come out so it can be used more for cargo than for a passenger?  Will an RE be able to maintain highway speeds (55-60 MPH) with the sidecar and a moderate load? 

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:49:24 pm
... Will an RE be able to maintain highway speeds (55-60 MPH) with the sidecar and a moderate load?  ...

In free fall.....

seriously, look farther down this board, there're a number of posts that address this issue.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:57:34 pm by Sam »
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

willbarter

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 04:58:36 am
Hi Jerry,

The Rocket model is about 75 inches long and 34 wide from the fender to the inside frame, the mounting hardware adds about 10 inches. I'd guess from moving it around and mounting the car it weighs in the neighborhood of 120 pounds.

When I got my '02 Classic outfit with a new re bore and piston (2400 original  miles)  I ran it in solo for 600 miles before attaching the car. Last winter I changed the countershaft sprocket from 17 tooth to 16 and the bike pulls much better, I don't go over 50 mph and can cruse between 45 & 50 all day. Highway, no way!  With 17 teeth a sustained 55 mph is beginning to get into dangerous territory with heat dissipation and the weight of the chair.

I use the Enfield for shopping, errands and as often as possable weather permitting, my 6 Cly. GMC pickup gets15 mpg compared to the Bullet's 57 mpg. The seat comes out easily, the back slides in place and the bottom is held in with 2 plastic wing nuts. The locking trunk behind the seat has quite a bit of space as well.

When doing a 3 day antique show I tow our  trailer in on Friday. For Saturday I remove the seat in the sidecar and load up a cooler and 3 totes of fresh merchandise for the ride in.  The bike draws quite a crowd and sales are brisk. On Sunday customers come back looking for the bike, I tell them next show and develop a repeat business.

Don   
'02 Classic with Cozy Rocket sidecar. Branford CT
"Ride like lightning, Crash like thunder."

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:26:51 pm
Don.  Thanks for the info.  Thats what I was wondering about.  I need to travel 60 miles on state highways once a week or so.  I usually haul a couple of chainsaws and a crate of gas/oil wedges etc.  The Ford Ranger only gets 22 mpg so I would love to improve on that.  At 45-50 MPH though I think I'd get run over by tourists or log trucks.  I'll be ordering an RE this spring and have become very interested in sidecars and their capabilities since finding this site.

Jerry

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:50:30 am
Jerry: I just gassed my F-150, w/duel tanks, first time since late Aug. You see I bought my RE Classic w/Cozy Bullet sidecar in late Aug. I think you see my point. Besides the fun of riding my hack, I like the savings.  ;)

I have to limit my time on the big roads because I usually travel at 45-50 mph. I do enjoy our country roads. I'm usually hauling chain saws or tools back and forth from my garage to my sons hobby farm. Come to think of it, my rig is lighter when I return home!  ::)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 01:21:11 am
Perhaps after getting the bike broke in I'll have a better feeling about it's capabilities.
It's very tempting to dream about having both some cargo volume and good MPG.
22 HP is not that much though.  Or...Maybe that rumored UCE will turn out to be just what I NEED.

Jerry

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 01:37:30 am
Having the sidecar rig for me is a lesson in country living. I see an awful lot of the country riding round on it, because though not an RE rig, it still won't go fast - 60 mph is the top limit, but happier at 55, so I travel the dirt roads, the winding country lanes, and county lines. Living in Indiana makes it a little easier - the entire state is set up in squares. If the main road is too fast, there are a few other roads going in exactly the same direction, within a couple of miles either side.

The savings on fuel are great - And, with a sidecar, either a Royal Enfield, or a 2wd Ural, you can keep riding when ALL the other bikes, are put up for the winter. Forget the snowmobile, just take the sidecar rig.. :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA