Author Topic: Ditch Your Sidecar: New Ural ST Coming to USA  (Read 7152 times)

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:23:38 pm
Seems an unbelievably good bike for those of us who, like your article says, are dissatisfied with the monsters being produced today.  Actually, it would go very well with a Cozy sidecar, which could be adapted, and then you would have a much lighter rig than the Ural and a more powerful one than the R E. 

I imagine this new Ural looks very good when seen in person.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

StephenCB

• Bulleteer
  • I finally own one!
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:38:00 pm

I imagine this new Ural looks very good when seen in person.

It doesn't look bad in the photos either.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:53:13 pm
  Seems like a no-nonsense utility ride.  Read the comments after the article.  Sorrily todays' modern biker/motorcyclist has to have a no wrench attitude.  Oh I had to tighten a bolt or two in the first month I owned it, I'll have to get rid of it.

Looks like a true bad-boy approach in that color scheme.  $8k seems a little much, but want to see it in person to make a final judgement.  Would make an interesting sport/tourer.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:21 pm
It is still in the test stage, and if you are near Redmond, they are encouraging test rides with comments. It is supposed to be a very nimble bike, and a competetor for the Bonnie and Sportster. Too much $$$ though.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:52:14 pm
It's about time Ural made a bike that weighs less than a car. With the untapped potential of the Ural motor, this bike could be a lot of fun.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 09:59:29 pm
I think it looks perfectly fine.
It seems to me that this should have been in the line-up for years.

That being said, I'd take a C5 and a couple thousand in change, thanks.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:55:03 pm
You can get a pretty nice pre-'69 BMW R60 for $8K.

I thought the new RE's were pretty close to $8K ~
Run what ya brung

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 12:13:31 am
"I've had new and I've had old, and baby, new is betta'  To paraphrase a famous black singer.

Look at what they are now getting for sport tourers - $14,000 and up.  Harleys are coming out at around $1500, though a mild 1200 Sportster is somewhat lower in price.  Of course it is partly a question of the delivered price, which may be higher or lower.

I would suggest that at a price of about $9K the new Ural represents pretty fair value.  For one thing, the upgrades over the years have focused on known accessories, such as brakes, forks and rear suspension.  The Ural has had its teething problems but I don't think the quality is all that bad.

There seems to be a close similarity between the coming along of the Ural since WWII, and the development of the Royal Enfield during this same period (about).  Is Russian engineering and manufacture  likely to be that much worse than Indian engineering and manufacture?  It seems they have taken similar courses.  And what other true retro bikes are available?  The Jawa from, is it, Czechoslovakia.?

I, of course, don't look to having  collection of bikes.  I look only to having one well running bike that will meet expectations.  Possibly I would have two if a disparate set of riding conditions were in my daily life.  So I would pay what needed to be paid to have either a new bike, or one damn near new.  This new Ural would be too much bike for me here on my island, but would certainly make sense in the U.S.  Having a servicing dealer around the corner would be nice, but I could make do with one farther afield.

The Ural has always been a close favorite for many members of this forum.  Many have or have had Urals at some stage, and there are Ural dealers who handle RE.  You might think of it as 'alternative biking" - alternative to the more flashy marketplace.

Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 03:54:36 am
Could think of many bikes for the price I would purchase before a Urinal, I mean Ural.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 04:31:14 am
8000$ will buy a lot of old BMW's with better mechanics I bet..

abe

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 04:41:17 am
the only guys having fun on these are the guys in Redmond, they should sell for half the price. I have owned 2 Urals and Chang Jiang the Chang was crap and better than a Ural, but I still love them, I know I am sick but I think the Russians are over rated.  I sold my side hack to buy the RE and couldn't be happier. 

But I want one again, damn....\\

abe

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 05:01:53 am
the only guys having fun on these are the guys in Redmond, they should sell for half the price. I have owned 2 Urals and Chang Jiang the Chang was crap and better than a Ural, but I still love them, I know I am sick but I think the Russians are over rated.  I sold my side hack to buy the RE and couldn't be happier. 

But I want one again, damn....\\

abe

The Ural is effectively homemade. The Ching Chong is crap from the start. One of the airhead forums reported on the new solo, and loved it.
"Urals are crap" usually comes from someone owning a pre 2005, just like "Enfields are crap" usually comes from someone who once owned an old Enfield.
Are Ducati ignitions any good?
How about Kehin carbs?
Guzzi levers?
Desno alternators?
Heindeau tires?
Stainless steel exhausts?
Brembo brakes, front and rear?
The Ural is a handmade bike, and has all these. original, not copies. I think 8K is too much, but some think 6.5K++ is too much for a single.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 10:52:04 am
  It'll probably give Moto Guzzi a run for it's money.  My pre '80 (1973) M-Goose was a great bike..some of the engineering was crappy, but hey it ran like a Timex watch.  I think these may now be in the same class with the current Urals.  The Blue Goose is probably the only bike I've owned and sold that I wish I had back.  Have been thinking about the new Desert Patrol model for a new steed in about 5 years.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 01:44:49 am
I saw a 2000 Ural solo at the rally today, pretty cool bike.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association