Author Topic: Expected Chain Mileage  (Read 5954 times)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
on: September 25, 2009, 05:20:16 am
I've got just over 6K on my rear chain and was wondering what is the normal lifespan for these.
I keep it lubed with some of that no fling chain oiler stuff and monitor the slack. You can definitely pull the chain away from the rear drive sprocket on the backside.

Is the drive sprocket normally changed at the same time or can it go through a couple chains before replacing?  I know there is more than one school of thought on this.

Ed
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:43:15 am
Don't pop wheelies, trailer stuff, ride 2 up climbing mountains, or let it run slack too much, and keep it oiled, and they can last 10k on the low-power Bullet.  DO any of those things, or forget to keep it lubed often, and they can become unusable in less than 1,000 miles.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:18:46 pm
Is the drive sprocket normally changed at the same time or can it go through a couple chains before replacing?  I know there is more than one school of thought on this.
Ed

Ed-

I had to replace my original chain at about 6500 miles 'cause It got hit with a (no pun intended) magic bullet - a chunk of contruction swarf got caught between the chain and sprocket, bent a link on the chain, chipped the sprocket, jammed the rear brake linkage (where it came to rest).  Chain was in fine shape before, as was the sprocket.  Ended up changing both.

I think the sprocket will last a looonnnggg time if you keep the chain lubed and adjusted.  Sprocket is sort of a pricey item, so I have a couple of spare chains around (new items procured from RE owners off of e-bay) ready to swap out if they become suspect.

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 03:57:00 pm
They all wear together chain ,sprocket and rear gear. You can not replace just one of them, its a three piece suite.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 02:16:48 am
I got about 11000 miles from my first chain, but as Pete says, waiting to replace the chain in the belief you are saving money is false economy because the first time the chiain breaks, it would result in thousands of dollars in repair costs from broken spokes, cracked engine case, skin grafts etc.

Kevin advises that you grab the chain (whilst the engine off) and pull it away and toward the back of the rear sprocket.  If there is more than 3/16ths inch of play, start looking for a chain replacement..

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 04:32:57 am
or just tighten it up a notch or so

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 03:14:16 pm
Use no-sling, wax or what ever tacky you like and expect to wear out your chain and sprockets much earlier than one should.

My chain has 12K miles and hasn't been adjusted in 8K of those miles. A chain once the initial slight stretch has occurred, if adjusted properly, lubed with a lube that doesn't attract grit, should last at least 30K miles, as most of my chain bikes have over the years.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 03:39:16 pm
that reminds me I need to clean my chain soon

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 05:40:51 pm
     Most of my customers get about 10,000 on just about any bike. Usually they wind up replacing front and rear sprockets at the same time. Sometimes chain life is much less, sometimes more.
     However, it doesn't have to be this way. Speaking from personal experience: I have a 1972 Yamaha XS2 650cc with about 115,000 miles on it. I may have changed the rear sprocket once.The front sprocket was changed only to re-gear.  There are over 50,000 miles on each front sprocket as I alternate for trips or local riding. My first chain (OEM0 went 19,000 miles. Since then I average about 15,000 a  chain.
     There is no big secret. Lube regularly with a good chain lube, and properly adjust it. Chains will show wear before sprockets will. Replace it before the worn chain affects the sprocket. You would be amazed at the life you can get from chains and sprockets with proper care.

roberte

• Commander Bullet
  • Scooter
  • "I've got a bad feeling about this..."
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 07:16:40 pm
I didn't change the chain until I couldn't tighten it anymore. Changing the rear sprocket was a no brainer 'cause the tips of the teeth were actually cracked off. The front sprocket looked brand new in comparision. It's a bit of a job changing the front sprocket....

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 05:07:11 pm
so what is your alls favorite chain lube?

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 05:13:17 pm
  I use the stuff called Chain wax sold at nearly all dirt bike shops, about $6 a can.  But since i have the duckbill aimed at the chain haven't used it in a while.  But use it on the wifes Kawasaki 800 Vulcan.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 05:31:36 pm
     Chain wax is one of the worst lubes I have ever seen. I was doing a police fleet for a while. They went to chain wax because one of the riders touted it. Chain wear increased by a factor of TEN.  I have seen the same effect on other customer's bikes. But the bike is cleaner.
     In my store I sell and use Torco brand chain lube. There are many others. All good chain lubes are a heavy grease dissolved in a carrier. The trick is to lube the chain properly by applying one bead down each side between the inner and outer link plates. This allows the lube to seep into the chain to the bushings in the rollers. Now you have to give it time for the carrier to evaporate. This takes at least a half hour. I lube when I get home so it is ready the next day. The more it sets up the less will sling off, thus minimizing the dread "sling off". I hardly ever have to adjust my chain, even on my dirt bike.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 11:02:33 pm
I used to use Chain Wax, but I noticed it holds grit.  A LOT of grit.  Tried 90 weight oil... messy.  Now I use Silkolene.  It's a synthetic.  AND- I spray it into an old yogurt cup and apply it with a small brush.  I got tired of spraying the floor and tire. 
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 11:59:32 pm
I used to use Chain Wax, but I noticed it holds grit.  A LOT of grit.  Tried 90 weight oil... messy.  Now I use Silkolene.  It's a synthetic.  AND- I spray it into an old yogurt cup and apply it with a small brush.  I got tired of spraying the floor and tire. 

But only hippies eat yogurt. Where am i going to get one of those cups?
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville