Author Topic: Starter Issue or Typical Enfield start?  (Read 3806 times)

abe

Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 04:30:18 am
one kick two tops make sure you decompress 4 or 5 times get her loose and kick it, damn I love this bike!

ES for a stall only at a light!  This is the way it should be....

abe, yeah I have been ridin all summer and feeling spunky....

sorry..

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 10:56:08 am
  Just remember electric start?  We don't need no stinking elctric start.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 01:41:37 pm
Ace,

Unfortunately MANY modern bikes have dropped the kickstarter. Bad move. The kicker will crank a bike with a dying battery. Try the ES with a marginal battery.

The only time I use my ES is if the bike happens to drop off idle at an intersection I am stopped at.
That is rare though.

Ed

One of my favorite quotes;
"Ain't no day or night in Termite Town..."

Anyhoo- if your bike stalls at a light,  Might I posit that your idle is too low?

Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 02:33:25 pm
Ace,

Unfortunately MANY modern bikes have dropped the kickstarter. Bad move. The kicker will crank a bike with a dying battery. Try the ES with a marginal battery.

The only time I use my ES is if the bike happens to drop off idle at an intersection I am stopped at.
That is rare though.

Ed

Ed,
I agree.
I've always preferred the kick starter.
Once you know how to kick start the bike, it becomes painfully clear that an e-starter is not necessary.
Unless the rider has a physical problem which prevents him from kick starting.

However, I do understand that it is a marketing feature that people today seem to expect. I'm sure that the ES Bullets sold better than the KS Bullets, after the electric starter option was introduced.
And that did solve the needs to move more bikes off the showroom floor.
The unfortunate side effect was the increased rate of mechanical failure associated with the ES system.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 05:10:58 pm
     One of the things that brought us today's motorcycle industry was the reliable electric starter. Another big boost was the elimination of the kick starter altogether. You would be amazed at how many people fear the kick starter. Everybody has an Uncle Harry story: "My Uncle Harry broke his leg when the kick starter kicked him back over the handlebars."
     Enfield riders are a different crowd than the more main stream riders. It has reached the point where I have to teach DIRT riders how to kick start a 125cc dirt bike. Notice how many dirt bikes are now equipped with electric starters.
     It's a shame. It is scary. Taking this mindset to it's logical conclusion has led to cars with cup holder, movie screens, and climate control. It has to be safe, comfortable, and completely insulated from the world to be marketable to the main stream consumer.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 06:01:45 pm
I'll never forget thje time Glen and I rode our old bikes up to the Pisgah Inn for breakfast.  Someone pointed at the bycicle pedals on the KS lever and asked, "What are those paddles for?"   (A HArley guy)

Mr Vince, models are now equipped with integrated braking, traction control, and -allegedly- air bags?   Why bother to learn good riding technique when your bike does it all for you?
Run what ya brung

Royal Bulleteer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 09:19:41 pm
Well I bought her!  A friend helped me haul it home on his trailer.

It's a dreamy ride :)  Breaks leave a little to be desired.  Still getting the hang of the clutch and finding neutral but so far so good.

Please see my post "Orange Light Blinking and Possible Oil Leak" ... I'm hoping it doesn't have issues right off the bat!

Zach

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 09:50:38 pm
  They all do, but that's part of their charm ::).  Where's the pictures?  Have fun, Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.