Author Topic: Shifting issues...  (Read 1428 times)

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
on: September 22, 2009, 10:03:19 pm
Good new is I think I've got my 34mm monster pretty close to dialed in!  Bad news I don't think she is shifting just right.  First the shifter was fouling on the exhaust pipe on the up shift, fixed that. Still up-shifts don't always want to shift.  I've just adjusted the clutch to see if that helps (haven't tried it yet).  I was just wondering if I'm missing something.  I'm having to "stomp" on the shifter  to get her to shift.  Hopefully the clutch adjustment will clear this issue up.
geichal

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:27:33 am
Do you have a 4-speed? Sounds like you may need to adjust the shifter ratchet stop pins or the detent plunger.

geichal

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 04:20:12 am
RH shift 4 speed.  Clutch adjustment helped to a point, How does one adjust the ratchet stop pins or detent plunger?  I hadn't found that info in my manuals.
THANKS!
geichal

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:26:04 am
  Do you have the Pete Snidal manual?  He goes into great detail with descriptive pictures. I really couldn't write an easy how-to here.The detent plunger holds the shift fork in each gear position and the ratchet places the shift fork in each gear position then centers the shifter in it's throw for the next shift. You'll need to remove the outer tranny cover and then shift through the gears (while spinning the drive tire) and watch the ratchet mechanism to see if it is under or  overshooting in either direction when you try to shift up or down.  Does that clear anything up? Mr Snidal says that the detent plunger adjustment clears up most shifting problems and needs to be adjusted before the ratchet assembly.
  I couldn't find any links with a good write-up on this but mabye you can.

geichal

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 04:57:50 am
I have a copy of a manual that a member had emailed to me, I'll see if I can open it.  Thanks!
geichal

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:13:56 am
The online manual floating about (unless it's a personal one someone uploaded recently) is an old, old version with a couple of mistakes.  Just be careful.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

geichal

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 01:33:47 pm
It's an old one

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 02:59:03 am
you can order the snidal manual from our host or direct from the author.
http://webhome.idirect.com/~snidey/

geichal

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 05:05:55 am
Ordered!