Author Topic: My C5 Engine stalled now it wont start !!!!!!!!  (Read 18520 times)

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 01:14:07 am
     Thanks for the update! Now tell me why the wired the switch into the fuel pump. They could have done it with the coil and simply inhibited spark, or cut out the electric starter. It would have been easier to diagnose. Oh well. Glad you found it. Now I hope I can remember! It gets so fuzzy.... What was the question?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 01:16:04 am
Glad you found it to be a simple fix! I'll store that for future use :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 01:21:31 am
Glad you got her fixed. What kind of tortoise do you have there?

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 01:30:52 am
Desert tortoise, a youngster. We live about 40 miles outside Tucson in the middle of nowhere.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 10:45:29 am
  Good you're going again.  Don't know why the engineers made it that these won't start with the side stand down.  Most other bikes make the engine stall if you select first gear with the stand down.  Maybe they can correct that in the future, but hey at least now you know.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: September 23, 2009, 03:16:34 pm
I've removed the side stand switch from my AVL, along with the clutch lever switch. The clutch lever switch wasn't working properly and I thought the side stand switch was unnecessary. I think they were added to the bike to solve a problem that never existed.

My tortoises have never shown much interest in bikes.

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: September 23, 2009, 03:22:44 pm
I've removed the side stand switch from my AVL, along with the clutch lever switch. The clutch lever switch wasn't working properly and I thought the side stand switch was unnecessary. I think they were added to the bike to solve a problem that never existed.

My tortoises have never shown much interest in bikes.

Royal Enfields have a clutch lever switch?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 05:28:12 pm
  Good you're going again.  Don't know why the engineers made it that these won't start with the side stand down.  Most other bikes make the engine stall if you select first gear with the stand down.  Maybe they can correct that in the future, but hey at least now you know.  Will.
     All of these safety features are driven by a legal system driven amok by the idea that the consumer is not responsible for himself.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #38 on: September 23, 2009, 06:33:26 pm
Royal Enfields have a clutch lever switch?

Yep - allows the e-start to work with the bike in gear (or an unplugged neutral indicator light as mine came from the dealer...).

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: September 23, 2009, 07:10:19 pm
Yep - allows the e-start to work with the bike in gear (or an unplugged neutral indicator light as mine came from the dealer...).

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan

Oh ok. I was going to say mine starts without pulling in the clutch when the bike in neutral.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: September 23, 2009, 09:42:44 pm
Br. JMHAZ, that's good news and great information for the C/G5 owners!!!  By the way, your Bullet-admiring-turtle simply has good taste!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #41 on: September 23, 2009, 09:52:36 pm
     All of these safety features are driven by a legal system driven amok by the idea that the consumer is not responsible for himself.

Agreed.
If I had any of that stuff on my bike, it would be yanked-off there by morning.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 04:58:47 pm
Facing same problem on my bike.
I think you saved me a lot of time.
Thanks

Hint bike dies out in the middle of no where.
Then when you hit the starter button nothing happens. Then you pull the clutch in and out a few times and it starts working.
Cuts out while riding sometimes.

Scott Gilmore

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: December 19, 2009, 01:24:38 am
If I had any of that stuff on my bike, it would be yanked-off there by morning.
I can see your point, but clutch and side stand cutout switches have been around since the advent of mass production electronic ignition - for more than 30 years.

In that time, while they've unquestionably caused some consternation as described in this thread, they've inarguably saved untold thousands of dollars in vehicle damage (and immeasurable 'pride' damage) not to mention the odd broken wrist or ankle.

Features such as these cutout switches really are a testament to the customer service efforts of major manufacturers.  It isn't easy to balance such decades old innovations against a more traditional approach to motorcycling, that involves greater personal responsibility (until something goes haywire with one's own, of course - then it's sure-as-sh!t someone else's fault).  From my point of view, it tells me Royal Enfield are stepping up and playing with the big boys.

Because these features are so cheap and (arguably) offer a pr oven benefit to some product owners, from a legal standpoint, it's suicide not to include these on the bike.

After all, of the pool of potential Royal Enfield buyers, there are more than experienced, knowledgeable riders such as yourself.

Regards,
Scott Gilmore

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #44 on: December 19, 2009, 03:03:09 am
Well, to each his own, I suppose.

Home of the Fireball 535 !