Author Topic: My C5 Engine stalled now it wont start !!!!!!!!  (Read 18527 times)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 04:59:08 pm
These are not things that I want to hear about as I ready myself for a 1,700 mile trip on mine.
By myself.
All alone.
In the rain.
With nothing but a Visa card and a Cell Phone to protect myself against those crazy mid-west farmers.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 05:25:58 pm
I agree with you, as I have several remote trips planned. However, so far I'm more curious than annoyed; I'm thinking of it as a teething problem that likely has a simple solution. But in the meantime I have a dead motorcycle! I need a shop manual.

And for perspective: My friend's brand new $12,000 BMW GS850 developed the habit of stalling on him at the worst possible times. The dealer finally figured out that the fancy fuel gauge was reading a quarter full when it was actually empty.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 08:08:18 pm
Current status is, I put the battery on a charger and ran it to 14.1 volts. Installed, key on, lights come on, fuel pump solenoid clicks, fuel pump does not come on. Still stumped.
Thats how mine was. You could here the solenoid click but the fuel pump didn't come on. Luckily it started working again on its own and have had no problems since. Try hitting the fuel pump with a rubber mallet. It could be in a bind and that could break it loose. I have seen this problem in cars and a swift hit with a mallet to the gas tank will unbind the pump and it will work again.

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 09:10:06 pm
Don't think whacking the pump will work, since I'm getting no power to the connection to the pump. I'm about to pull the seat off and look under there at every other connection I can find.

In terms of taking it to the dealer; unfortunately that's a 200-mile trailer ride, one way. And a big part of the goal with this G5 as a long-term review vehicle is to see just how user-friendly it remains with the fuel injection system. So this glitch is actually a good test.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 09:11:01 pm
JMHAZ, Bullet originals have allmost the same problem as the BMW you mentioned. The reserve pickup on my bullet is so high that it leaves about a gallon for reserve. When you look in the tank it looks half full.  Someday, I'll take out the petcock and cut it down. But until I learned this, all of my "Bike Shutdowns" were caused by this. The only thing I can think of is there must be huge distances between gas stations in India.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 09:37:36 pm
  I'll probably get whacked for this one but here we go.  Been working on fuelies for a while now gassers and diesels.  Try bleeding the fuel pressure off the line from the tank to injection module.  If there is a line or fitting to the injector (don't have an Enfield fuelie but Kawasakis that are) crack that also to see if it has air lock.  Fuel injection is great until it gets a gulp of air, believe me. 

Your injectors normally shut-off in the fully pressurized state, the cointrol unit shuts down the impulse(more than probably) to keep the engine from flooding/floating injectors.  Of course like I say I have no experience with Enfields with fuel injection.  Just giving you an option since you are an all day journry to and from a dealer.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 10:58:31 pm
These are not things that I want to hear about as I ready myself for a 1,700 mile trip on mine.
By myself.
All alone.
In the rain.
With nothing but a Visa card and a Cell Phone to protect myself against those crazy mid-west farmers.
CJ
I am very close to 3000 miles on my C5, never had any problems of any kind. Head for the rally! :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 11:37:20 pm

I'll probably get whacked for this one but here we go.  Been working on fuelies for a while now gassers and diesels.  Try bleeding the fuel pressure off the line from the tank to injection module.  If there is a line or fitting to the injector (don't have an Enfield fuelie but Kawasakis that are) crack that also to see if it has air lock.  Fuel injection is great until it gets a gulp of air, believe me. 

Your injectors normally shut-off in the fully pressurized state, the cointrol unit shuts down the impulse(more than probably) to keep the engine from flooding/floating injectors.  Of course like I say I have no experience with Enfields with fuel injection.  Just giving you an option since you are an all day journry to and from a dealer.  Will.

Will, you won't get whacked from me. That's an interesting theory, and easy to try. Thanks.

Jonathan

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 11:43:48 pm
  Just make sure you keep your face and hands from the direct spray from the lines/fittings..remember the fuel is/could be under pressure.  Wear safety glasses and leather gloves to protect yourself.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 12:56:22 am
I am very close to 3000 miles on my C5, never had any problems of any kind. Head for the rally! :D

That's what I bought the G5 for.
I don't think my 99 had many more trips like that in it.
The G5 is going to be there one way or the other.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 01:20:36 am
You won't have any thing to worry about. I'll see you there on Saturday. I don't have time for the whole rally so I'll ride up Sat morning early and leave in the afternoon.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 01:27:50 am
Hey! No discussing bikes that are running in a stalled-bike thread.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 04:36:11 am
You won't have any thing to worry about. I'll see you there on Saturday. I don't have time for the whole rally so I'll ride up Sat morning early and leave in the afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting you AND seeing your bike.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 12:59:54 pm
 I can't hardly wait to meet fellow Enfield riders and see the bikes.
Iron Butt Association

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 12:57:22 am
I found the problem - at least on my bike. Faulty side-stand cut-off switch.

After stripping the bike down and checking every connection, I started thinking about the things that are supposed to prevent the engine running under certain circumstances. The infamous side-stand switch came to mind immediately. I unplugged it, the fuel pump spooled right up, and the engine started instantly.

So - Any of you G5/C5 riders who experience this syndrome when you turn the key: lights come on, neutral light comes on, starter turns over fine, plenty of power from the battery, but no engine light and no sound from the fuel pump - just unplug the side-stand cut-off switch and see if that fixes it.

After taking a break while checking connections, I came back out to the shop and found that, as usual, if you start work on a motorcycle, spectators show up out of nowhere: