Author Topic: Replaced oil catchcan used motorcraft pcv valve, its loud!  (Read 5923 times)

bluegrassbullet

• Scooter
 Put the battery in the left side toolbox last night on my 2000 military500cc.. Looks much better. Ran to get a Niehoff pv215 as Snidal manual suggested . NOBODY could even order one for me. So i gave up and went with a plain jane  Motorcraft pcv valve. The pcv makes a seriously loud tapping noise click click click as the air escapes. Kind of comical really.But very irritating. Tried to ride around without the pcv and lost oil quick. I guess ill have to order a duckbill, but my question is Can I use the pcv until it arrives? I really didnt expect that much pressure to be coming out of that hose. I guess i could put the catchcan back on until then, but i really dont want to.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 12:39:55 am
I just replaced my catch can, and used the duckbill from inside the canister.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 12:55:04 am
Same here. Took the duckbill from the can, connected it to the existing vent line with a piece of scrap copper tube and draped it off the back of the tranny. Works fine. Isn't a pcv valve wrong for that application?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 01:02:56 am
Me 3. Cut the hose going to the catch can and used the duckbill from the catch working great.
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 01:17:12 am
  Did the same, you have everything you need to do a duckbill breather already provided.  I cut the existing line lenght down, put the duckbill from the air canister over it and used some clear RTV, instant mod, no cost.

As an added thought my wifes '03 800 Vulcan runs a PCV type valve (just smaller version of a car PCV) and the out end runs to a small catch tank.  Suppose that could be done if you really want to but you'll probably find the duckbill easier to perform.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:28:43 am by 1Blackwolf1 »
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

bluegrassbullet

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 05:17:52 am
Yes, after thinking about it the pcv isnt right for that application. In a car , the Pcv goes in a valve cover and the nipple on top goes to the carb which is suction. So i was using it backwards.
 I did actually read first before I asked, but i missed anybody saying that a duckbill was in the catch can.I m excited about it. Glad i didnt order one.
 In thinking how a car would be set up the pcv should have a hose from it leading into the intake or carb. Which all we have on the Bullet is the intake boot to the carb.
 It would be nice to recirculate that into the intake boot. But if a proper pcv valve wasnt used it would recirculate oil also and foul plugs and/or smoke. But it would eliminate this mess. Or does the duckbill not seep oil.?

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 10:15:11 am
  It does lose a small bit of oil..that's why some people route the line off the back fender and some people use it to lube their chain.  It opens and closes as the engine runs.  Sort of a primitive PCV, more like the older cars and trucks that had a simple blowby tube that was pointed at the ground.  It still shouldn't lose that much, more like a fine mist when the engine is running.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 01:13:10 pm
I run mine to my chain, largely for aesthetic reasons. I don't want a tube running the length of the bike.

I do not rely on the slight oil mist lubing the chain. For me it has not made much of a mess. A few dots of oil by the distributor cover.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 02:48:30 pm
Think why there is so much pressure, there is the long stroke, pressurizing the crankcase, it has to go somewhere !!!
I also use the duckbill to lube the chain, It works perfectly. I think the acids & other schmit  that spew out don't have near the wear  vs the grit that comes from the street
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

bluegrassbullet

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 06:31:59 pm
Got the duckbill out of the catch can , joined it to the hose with a piece of tubing. 5 minute job. All is good. Trimmed a little off and pointed to the chain. Could'nt imagine running it all the way out back. Will it quack or will ducks chase me while im riding?haha
  Next step is to get rid of the airbox , but it runs so well, i really dont want to deal with jetting.I have read the successful settings posted by Ace , and i love the look of the bellmouth and the open space.And a k&n or similar would look out of place. But ive also read how hard bellmouths are  on the engine as far as wear and tear.I could use the right side tool box as an air filter like the newer models. I have panniers so storage is not a problem. But i would have to run a hose of some sort.
 The bike looks longer without the battery in the way. Exactly what it needed.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 06:33:57 pm
This might give someone a heart attack, but I don't want that junk on my chain OR my tire!

Run what ya brung

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 08:56:41 pm
I'm quite please with my duckbill set up. I tried directing it onto the chain but ended up with a fair bit of oil splatter (this may be the result of over filling the oil tank). I've since rerouted it under the seat and out the rear end. The duckbill's farting can't be heard above the engine and any discharge is kept well clear of the bike.

I do place a tray under the duckbill overnight to catch the few drips of gunk that come out after a run.

I'm not certain how much oil is lost by the system but  I would probably need to put in 1/4 pint after 1000 miles. With regular oil changes I don't see that as a problem.

A picture is worth 1000 words

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 09:51:20 pm
I left my catchcan in place as Snidel options suggests. I removed the drain hose from it and plugged the timiing chest outlet.Then I added a shut off valve (from an old outboard motor) attached to the end of the hose. I routed the hose straight below the catchcan. After riding I sometimes open the drain but so far almost no oil has drained,I suspect it will when the catch can fills.
Max
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 02:33:18 am
I am the second of apparently currently four people to do this (saw a picture I believe was from PhilJ awhile back and replicated, but this pic is my bike)

Timing straight to Primary (there is never pressure in the primary itself, just timing, so it's still okay to use ATF), and crankcase up and down onto the chain (up so most will drain back down).  I think the others route it back to their rear wheel, but whatever works.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 09:13:54 pm
Hey Geirskogul, Thanks for posting that picture. I've been working on doing this mod myself (the bike is in the garage with all hoses off right now and I came in to see if there was anyone with pictures here on the forum of the end result...so thanks) - I'm now well armed to go out and finish the job...but gotta grab a brew on the way out...
Cheers all - Chop