Author Topic: Oil Smells like Gasoline  (Read 3688 times)

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
on: September 18, 2009, 04:31:56 am
I changed the oil on my bike at 260 miles or so, and now again at just over 1,000 miles (1,090) and both times the oil smelled like gasoline.  The first time it wasn't so bad, but this time it was a HORRIBLE gasoline smell, which is the reason I changed it.  The oil didn't have any mayo, but while it was draining you could definitely tell that something else was mixed in a little bit (that different-colored "swirl" as you drain it).

On the stock BS29 CV carb, I have the float needle set to the highest (lowest clip) setting, 17.5 pilot, 122.5 main, fuel screw turned just about 1.25 turns out from seated.  There have been one or two days (and three or four short in and out trips) where I have forgotten to turn the fuel petcock off, but I thought (hope) that that doesn't matter, correct me if I'm wrong. 

The bike itself doesn't burn or use any oil, as evidenced by me slightly overfilling it the last oil change and it not dropping at all for the past 700 miles.  I feared the worst because the bike had gotten a little bit noisier (growlier) but that could also be in my head.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:15:02 am
I imagine your float is set wrong and/or you need to clean your needle valve with a fine emery clothe so you will not get gas seepage.   Not a  big deal..  You might want to make sure your Petcock is functioning properly,  maybe gas is flowing when it shouldn't.

The growl might be that your primary chain finally setting up aka broken  in and needs adjustment.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:21:30 am
Needle valve - the small one that it attatched to the float, not the big one I set with a clip, right?

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 05:37:12 am
The little one the float pushes up to cut off the flow of fuel into the bowl...  The other one is a jet I believe..   

I have not worked on an RE carb but the quad carb pack on my KZ is probably set up the pretty close.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 01:03:18 pm
If you are pretty sure that your float level is set right, then it's the needle/seat float-shutoff valve that's the culprit.

It doesn't need to be worn out to leak. All it needs is the most miniscule piece of dirt or crud on the mating surfaces, and it will leak.
Most times this can be fixed with a cleaning. However, this is one of those things that might happen again tomorrow, or not again for years. It just depends on how the piece of crud sticks to the needle/valve, or doesn't.

This is why it's recommended to always turn the petcock off when you get off the bike.
If you don't, and the needle/seat valve leaks for any reason, you'll get a sump full of gas.
I've had it happen to me, and most motorcycle owners have probably had it happen to them.
If the petcock is closed, you won't fill the sump with gas, no matter what.

Cars don't have this problem, because their tanks are below the level of the carb, and they use fuel pumps which turn off when the car is turned off. But with a gravity-fed fuel system, it can drain the whole fuel tank into the sump.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 01:58:48 pm
On my BMW's, if I come out in the morning and find I left the gas on, I now just automaticallt change the oil.  I also found that it's dangerous to try starting the bike without taking the spark plug out and turning the engine over.  Sometimes the head would fill with gas and liquids don't compress.  If you do manage to turn the engine over, it's possible to blow a gasket- something has to give.

I guess if you waste enough oil, eventually you'll remember to turn the gas off.  Put an in-line filter in there, too.
Run what ya brung

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 05:59:47 pm
     Ernie, replace the float valves now!!! I have seen bent rods from your circumstance. Since you can't drain every bit of fluid, any residue can cause engine issues, such as premature wear, down the road. Excess gas in the inlet tract can ignite and blow off the carb. Ask me how I know! This can tear manifolds or ignite the air filter. I(t can be real exciting.
     Some bikes lean far over on their side stands. Even the best float valve may not work at an extreme angle. In this case use the center stand or a block of wood under the side stand for a more upright stance.
     Ace is exactly right. Sounds like he's been there too.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 06:03:12 pm
So the culprit is that teeny tiny needle valve?  I won't have the time to fix it until sunday, but as long as I turn the petcock off it'll be okay, right?  I know my petcock actually works, as that's easy to test (remove hose, turn off, check to be sure no fuel is flowing).

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 05:26:18 am
Haven't fixed the valve yet, but noticed today that as I'm running it out of gas with the petcock off, before it runs out the idle raises dramatically.  Float set too high?

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 01:18:12 pm
I didn't think you had to run bowl dry. I thought just turning off the petcock would prevent the problem.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 03:14:55 pm
What does your sparkplug look like ? Maybe the rings are not sealing well.  all the above answers don't seem kosher, the bike would run like shit if the needle was malfunctioning, or a float level was the issue.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 05:00:59 pm
Haven't checked plug yet (just woke up) but I get good compression on kickover ...?

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 11:14:59 pm
well this thread prompted me to go out , remove the dipstick and taste the oil on it..  yep.. taste like oil.. no contaminants

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 11:46:15 pm
 Yummy, do you prefer 10/40 or 20/50?
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 11:58:01 pm
well, the 20-50 taste a bit pricer than the 5-40 I was using....as I said proud to say  I didn't taste any salad dressing :D

or anti freeze :o