Author Topic: Most Fuel-Efficient Car  (Read 3707 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 16, 2009, 04:22:30 pm
An NYT reporter blogging the Frankfurt auto show writes up VW's new diesel-electric hybrid, which gets 168mpg (according to http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/fuel_consumption.htm):

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/15/vw-says-l1-hybrid-is-most-efficient-car-in-the-world/

Not a very practical car, but impressive figures and a good step toward something more useful. Interesting materials, too, and it weighs less than most Harleys.

Jeff

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 05:44:47 pm
It is good that they realized that low weight helps with fuel consumption.

This was forgotten by Fiat:

Original Fiat 500 ~ 500 kg

New fake Fiat 500 ~ 1000kg

And the new 500 is too expensive for poor people, whereas the original was designed to put wheels under poor people, who incidentally won't be able to afford a hybrid technology car any time soon. These are targeted at well-heeled types just so they don't have to feel bad about the melting polar ice-cap.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:27:02 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 02:16:27 pm
When will our American car companies get their shit together. V W, Audi,are producing great diesels, powerful & efficient, we are still in a horsepower race, It's 2009, the oil companies are beating us up with outrageous profits. Help me Mr wizzard !!!
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

StephenCB

• Bulleteer
  • I finally own one!
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 02:39:44 pm
Something that I think is almost humorous if it were not so sad.

GM had a 100% electric car a decade ago that initially had a range of 90 miles, but by the end of it's run could get up to 130 miles on a charge.  That was with 1999 technology.

Saturn EV1

Now they are touting the Volt which has the "impressive" range of 40 miles on a charge!  Woohoo!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:40:42 pm
When will our American car companies get their shit together. V W, Audi,are producing great diesels, powerful & efficient, we are still in a horsepower race, It's 2009, the oil companies are beating us up with outrageous profits. Help me Mr wizzard !!!

The US gov't has a bunch of pollution regs that make these diesels very difficult to get into the US.
So, the makers just sell them everywhere else, but not here.

That's also why diesel fuel costs more than gasoline, when diesel is actually cheaper to produce. Because it's loaded with taxes to try to discourage sales, and also as an additional road-use tax for big rig trucks with diesels.
And even gasoline is loaded with taxes, which amount to about 50 cents on every gallon sold. In my area, if the taxes were removed, gas would only be $1.70 per gallon.

It's possible to jump thru the hoops and get these cars into the US, but it's too costly and too much trouble for the makers to want to go through. So, they don't.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:42:46 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 03:10:34 pm
Indeed, regulations add weight and cost to our cars and prevent us from giving consumers the kind of inovative products people in Japan and Europe routinely see. It's not because we are less intelligent or less capable than our overseas friends. As a matter of fact, much of their cutting age inovation comes from US research and design labs that are forbidden from using the technology here.

I think there is too much emphasis on fuel economy. There is a break-even point that we are not going to get around on an internal combustion engine. Anyone who has used a gas welder know what a neutral flame is. That is the optimum mix of gas and oxygen -- best bang for the buck. This also applies to an engine. It is going to take a certain amount of fuel, mixed with aie, to give the best possible and cleanest burning operation. When you calculte displacement and RPMs, yu can see that there is a point after which you are going to see no more improvement. That's not to say we don't have a bit more efficiency to squeeze out of current designs, but not much. The biggest stumbling block is that unlike the welding torch, we are not using pure oxygen or a very clean fuel. We are now getting MPG in the mid 30s on mid-size luxury cars. When I was a kid, a sub-2000 pound death trap of an eco car got 25 MPG and burned dirty.

I think the next big thing we are going to see is a division between a full-featured family car and a commuter vehicle. Commuter vehicles will be a lot like Japaneese mini-cars and be full electric. They should have multiple energy recovery systems so as to not leave a driver stranded. They should have a common household plug in, as well as a solar panel on the roof that trickle charges the batteries while you are sitting at your desk all day. It will also have a small natural gas fueled engine under the hood running a mini generator. This generator kicks in  when battery power falls off too much. The NG fuel wouldbe able to operate a heater system, and the motor would operate a small AC compressor. These could be perfect cars for one person to commute short distances, for college students, and others. Every garage should have one, but would also have a real car for vacations or family duties.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 11:08:14 pm
  I had a Geo Metro that got 70+ mpg on the highway and 56 mpg in the city.  Cost $6 brand new.  Iput 83,000 miles on it in 18 months.  We had it, no one demands it makes a comeback.  Silly Americans.  Will. P.S., that was 1993.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 12:42:05 am
When I lived in Japan, I drove a Suzuki Fronte. Three cylindar two stroke. Got amazing milage and was one of the quickest cars I have ever owned.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 01:38:17 am
  Probably the same engine, I know that it was a Suzuki triple gasser, but 4 stroker.  Decent top end for a 1000cc/5 speed, it'd run at 85 w/o a problem.  Never bought one but there was a performance air intake/exhaust set-up that would boost HP by 7 and increase mileage by 5%.  Who needed it with those figures for gas mileage?  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.