Author Topic: Clutch not fully engaging-08 military  (Read 3257 times)

QuantumLeap!

• Scooter
on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:49 pm
Hi!

Cool forum here.

My clutch is not fully engaging.  It shifts slightly clunky and when at a stop it is impossible to put it in neutral as it is slightly under load and trying to pull a bit even with the handle fully depressed.   I have the adjusters fully out at the handle and the case.

What to do?

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:41:12 pm
Broken clutch cable?
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

QuantumLeap!

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:55:03 pm
Just did some searching.  Probably should have done that first....whoops.   I am headed out to check out the cable and adjust the clutch under the "5-speed cover".

QuantumLeap!

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 12:37:33 am
Wow!   That was easy.   Just tightened the bolt under the cover and then backed off an 8th turn as instructed on some other posts.   Now it works perfectly!

Is there something I am supposed to tighten/do in order to prevent it from backing out again?

Thanks!

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 02:25:11 am
Wow!   That was easy.   Just tightened the bolt under the cover and then backed off an 8th turn as instructed on some other posts.   Now it works perfectly!
Is there something I am supposed to tighten/do in order to prevent it from backing out again?
Thanks!

There should have been a lock nut on it...
                - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

petefletcher

• Bulleteer
  • One Life - Live It
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:20:01 am
What you meant was that your clutch wasn't disengaging.
2008 350 Classic Bullet
1961 Triumph Cub Trials

Hellbender

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 09:11:16 pm
my experience has been that if it soon needs adjustment again, your cable is on its way out. i'd take a peek at both clutch cable ends just in case.

QuantumLeap!

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 09:54:27 pm
Just over 3,000 miles now.

This thing has been causing me a lot of trouble lately.  The clutch is still wonky and going out of adjustment very fast.(5 min.)

I have the adjustment screw all the way in and backed off 1/4 and the lock nut tightened, both adjustments all the way out at the handle and case and there is still not enough adjustment.

The cable is good, the actuator bracket the cable goes into is good, all bearings are in place under it, and the inner bearing behind the actuator rod is in place.  

What should I do next?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:58:41 pm by QuantumLeap! »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:15:18 pm
To start I would replace the cable and see if that remedies the situation..  If it does not I would pull the trans cover and check the actuator assembly for fatigue and or fractures. If you get the thing too much out of wack and then try to use it you can breaks some of the bits in there.   

I would also open the primary up and look at the clutch assembly and make sure everything is good in there..  All in all its a fairly simple system,  you just gotta take er apart and figure out what bit is not right.. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:22:08 pm
this could be a riding habit thing. These clutches and cables are not meant to be held for an extended time. It is easier to go to neutral b4 you stop....  Do not hold the clutch very long at all as the cable is likely to stretch and then your adjustment is gone.
               - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 12:44:39 am
I'd back off 1/2 turn on the clutch adjuster screw, then tighten the locknut. Then check the cable, especially at the ball-end inside the gearcase.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 01:15:11 am
this could be a riding habit thing. These clutches and cables are not meant to be held for an extended time. It is easier to go to neutral b4 you stop....  Do not hold the clutch very long at all as the cable is likely to stretch and then your adjustment is gone.
               - Mike

This is what I do.

Also manufacturing tolerances being what they are some clutches will tend to drag.
For the most stubborn of bikes our host offers the miracle clutch. Its a sort of blueprinted clutch kit. Search the threads and if your handy with a lathe you could do the same yourself.

BTW, Hi QuantumLeap!,, welcome aboard.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

QuantumLeap!

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 02:37:01 am
To start I would replace the cable and see if that remedies the situation..  If it does not I would pull the trans cover and check the actuator assembly for fatigue and or fractures. If you get the thing too much out of wack and then try to use it you can breaks some of the bits in there.   

I would also open the primary up and look at the clutch assembly and make sure everything is good in there..  All in all its a fairly simple system,  you just gotta take er apart and figure out what bit is not right.. 

I pulled the cable already and it is the exact same length as the replacement that came with the bike and looks to be in perfect condition.   So I put it back in.  Should I not have?

I will crack the cases tomorrow.  Just hoping I wouldn't have to....

- Mike

I really don't believe I hold the handle unreasonably long at all, except for when it is out of adjustment and won't go into neutral obviously.  I almost always put it into neutral while still rolling into a stop, unless I know the stop will be of short duration.

I did however acquire this bike from the original owner, a friend of mine, when it had about 2700 or so on it.  Could this be from prior riding habits even though I have adjusted it since?

I'd back off 1/2 turn on the clutch adjuster screw, then tighten the locknut. Then check the cable, especially at the ball-end inside the gearcase.

Wouldn't this only back out the adjustment further?

Thanks guys!

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 03:42:30 am
"  Quote from: DVDitman on Today at 06:44:39 PM
Wouldn't this only back out the adjustment further?
Thanks guys! "

I may be thinking bass akwards but wouldn't you want to screw it in??
  also... to get a good setting I think you want to back the cable ALL the way off, do yer adjust on the right side, then readjust the cable.
   and- isn't the word on the 5speeds to adjust the cable"tight as you dare"??
             - Mike
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:46:31 am by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 03:55:25 am
I would try the adjustment above and then the cable if it does not work out.

I was thinking replacing the cable is one of the easier steps,  if it fixes it good and pitch the old cable, if not you still have a spare and you can go on to the next possible (and more involved) cause..    It just stinks pulling the cases open unless you have to..

If you do open the trans you might want to check to see if you have the newer pivot deal on the end of your actuator arm where the cable attaches.    I think yours will as my 07' came with one stock.  If you have the old style arm with just a hook and no pivot you might want to replace it.

Check out this thread,,  its pretty good...
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,1465.msg14557.html#msg14557

And and belated welcome to the forum... :)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

QuantumLeap!

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 04:01:44 am
Ok thanks.   I've seen that thread and a lot of the others.  None seem to cover my problem exactly.

I have had the cover open that goes over the clutch linkage and I do have the newer style bracket.  Everything looks good in there. 

What do you guys think about adding another bearing at the end of the actuator rod, doubling them up, to add adjustment?

I think I need to pull the trans and clutch cases.... :(

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 06:44:48 am
  I'd check the primary side myself.  Sounds like a pressure plate spring issue' or the three mount bolts on the cover are not completely/evenly tightened.  If you have the three normal clutch springs and three heavy duty installed they may not be installed at every other position.

This problem sounds more like something in the basket making the clutch components run un-even.  Also check your primary chain tension while you're inside the case.  Primary chain slap will do that also.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.