Author Topic: Crankshaft balance  (Read 4603 times)

indian55-123

• Scooter
on: November 26, 2009, 07:30:15 pm
Does anyone know of a shop near Charleston WV area or closest place to it that does crank balancing? I have a '55 Tomahawk 500 Twin that needs balancing and crank turned. I have new pistons, pins, rings and the rods are good but I can't find a shop that will do the work even close to this area  (Beckley WV.) They won't even turn a crank anymore. Everyone says if it's broke they just put in a new one. Even if I found a new one I would still need the work. So any help will be appreciated.
     Thanks, Duane

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:00:32 pm
Does anyone know of a shop near Charleston WV area or closest place to it that does crank balancing? I have a '55 Tomahawk 500 Twin that needs balancing and crank turned. I have new pistons, pins, rings and the rods are good but I can't find a shop that will do the work even close to this area  (Beckley WV.) They won't even turn a crank anymore. Everyone says if it's broke they just put in a new one. Even if I found a new one I would still need the work. So any help will be appreciated.
     Thanks, Duane

Gary Rask of Rask Cycle in Pa. turned and balanced the crank on my Trump.
http://raskcycle.com/
It did stay true to form and will still vibrate the fillings out of you teeth.

If your getting it turned to put some oversize bearing shells in there's a good chance you won't have to balance it.

Yes, it's getting hard to find anyone that will actually work a motor anymore. Everything is strictly R&R nowadays.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:51:47 pm
Maybe you can add some weight by adding roundstock to the wristpin bores. It's worked for me. Your very lucky to have the original piston weights, so you can at least get back to the original balance ballpark.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:56:40 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.