Author Topic: Broken Left Footpeg Mounting Rod  (Read 4062 times)

xStevex

• Bulleteer
on: September 14, 2009, 01:00:52 pm
Hello Friends,
You know that old phrase 'Haste Makes Waste', well it sems to have a grain of truth behind it. I was in a rush this morning, and I was locking my shed while my AVL Bullet was chugging behind me nicely on a patch of lawn which seemed stable....emphasis on the 'seemed' part...Long story short, the ground caved and the bike fell over onto its left side. I managed to right it myself (I weigh 145 pounds with steeltoe enginner boots and helmet on), but the left footpeg was lying on the ground, detached from the chasis.
The bolt which holds the peg to the chasis sheared off, taking a good portion of the rod onto which it bolts with it. So, it would seem that I have to replace this rod now? It's a 13mm hexagonal shape, and the end is threaded. Does this rod go all the way through to the other side of the bike, or is there a left and right side rod? Has anyone replaced this part, and if so, have they gotten it from our friends at CMW? How have you removed this rod?

thanks once again for helping out an FNG!
xStevex
2009 AVL Bullet 'Deluxe'
1966 Triumph TR6R Chopper

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 04:13:33 pm
I moved my pegs, so I'm not sure anymore.

In general, though;  It doesn't sound like you got on your knees with a flashlight and really looked at what's going on.  if the pegs are held on with one bolt, bring the nut and get another bolt that matches at any hardwre store.
If it's a long stud that's threaded on both ends, put the bike on the center stand and block the engine.  A small car scissor-type jack is good for this.  The jack will keep the engine in place if it is an engine mount.  Then, try unscrewing the other end.  If only the nut moves, get a drift of some kind (wood dowel, phillips head screwdriver, etc) and tap it through.  Leows or Tractor Supply might have one the right size, a mchinist might make one for not too much, or you can order a new one from the CMW Store.
Run what ya brung

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 04:36:46 pm
It goes from one side of the bike to the other and it's a hex rod. It goes through the frame and lower trans mount and you might have to loosen all those bolts up to be able to slide it out to replace it. The lower trans mounts holes that it goes through are hex shaped and keep it from spinning around if you put some weight on it.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:01:58 pm
Wow- hex shaft with threaded ends?   I wonder what would be wrong with it turning in there- it wouldn't really turn any after the nuts are tight... I guess that would just make it easier to tighten the nuts.

Sometime I should go through my box of stuff.
Run what ya brung

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:34:24 pm
My foot pegs are cranked and set so that the crank throw isn't vertical, and they have splines to engage the rod, so it definitely needs to be hex section to stop them flapping round like bicycle pedals. Ultra tight nuts wouldn't be enough and would crush the spacer tubes straightaway (I think quite a low torque is specified for the foot peg nuts, despite their chunky size).
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

xStevex

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:43:42 pm
Thanks as always for your input, gentlemen!

I put a call in to CMW and I have the part on the way. I didn't have a chance to really examine what exactly was going on with the broken piece as it was still dark out and I was running late for work as it was..but from the description you kind folks have provided, it sounds like what I suspected.

On the bright side, it's okay that the motorbike will be laid up for a few days- it could use a fluids change, and the left peg is off so that's one less thing to remove when accessing the primary.

thanks again,
xStevex
2009 AVL Bullet 'Deluxe'

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 08:47:35 pm
I broke my left peg off last year.( soft heavy hex shaft).

I was able to take a wire feed welder and spot weld my left peg back on. Then I could ride and wait for the new part to arrive.

Be carefull when the new shaft arrives as not to over thighten the nut to bolt your pegs on ; like I said its soft metal and you can easily shear it off with your spanner.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

xStevex

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 12:31:15 pm
Thank you for the heads-up on that! It is (or was) very much like me to just crank things tight until they stripped or snapped; with the Enfield I am learning the art of restraint.
It seems the exhaust (I have the Goldstar-type) has to come off to remove the right-side peg and to be able to remove the footpeg mounting bar/rod....I found that the nut holding the right footpeg on was only finger tight!
Lesson to new guys/gals like me: check the tightness of fasteners religiously!
And, don't leave your motorbike running on its centerstand on a morning dew-slick lawn.

xSx
2009 AVL Bullet 'Deluxe'

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 12:53:58 pm
I found that the nut holding the right footpeg on was only finger tight!
Lesson to new guys/gals like me: check the tightness of fasteners religiously!

Don't beat yourself up too bad on that one. With the left side broken off the right side had to be loose.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

chanderjeet

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 06:53:23 pm
I broke my recently.
Yes, you will have to change the hex rod. Costed me about 3 pounds to change.

xStevex

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 01:30:53 pm
Hi Chanderjeet and fellow RE enthusiasts,
Was it difficult to get the hex rod back in and get the various spacers realigned so the foot pegs could be bolted back on?

I'm still waiting for my replacement hex rod and I was thinking of using 3/8" threaded rod and 3/8" washers, shims, and nuts as a temporary replacement for the hex rod.
I bought the materials to do this last night at Home Depot and was going to give this a shot after work today. If anyone's tried this and made it work, please let me know. If anyone thinks the 3/8" threaded rod idea is a bad idea, please let me know even sooner!

There's a Brit Bike show in Massachusetts this Sunday I was hoping to ride to, and a ride I was looking to do tomorrow, hence my itchiness to get some footpegs mounted back up and get the bike back on the road.
Not to mention that the downtime has enabled me to do a fluid change, and remove the PAV unit and mount up an Ace air canister, so I'm looking forward to riding the bike with all this 'newness'.

BTW: if anyone has removed their PAV from an AVL motor and they don't know what to do to plug up the small vacuum fitting at the carburetor, I found that a bicycle Presta valve cap works pretty well.

thanks guys,
xStevex
Onionville, CT

2009 AVL Bullet 'Deluxe'

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 01:54:00 pm
Using a piece of all-thread is not a good idea as there will be nothing to stop the foot peg from rotating. First bump and it'll move on ya.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

xStevex

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 02:05:10 pm
Thanks CJ!
I was thinking that too while I was cooking up this plan- I realized that the hex portion of the rod is what the foot pegs 'lock' onto as they're splined and they mate to the hex shape of the rod.
I was thinking, maybe a little unrealistically optimistic, that maybe a series of nylock 3/8" nuts could be used to hold the rod against the brackets on the frame and to take the place of the hex portion of the hex bar?

I'm beginning to think that maybe the only safe way to get the pegs back on is to wait for the proper hex bar.

xSx
2009 AVL Bullet 'Deluxe'

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 02:42:19 pm
You could take your broken rod and grind it flat, drill and tap it for a bolt and use it that way until you get your new rod.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

xStevex

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 02:54:00 pm
CJ,
Excellent plan, and I was just thinking of that. I don't have the resources myself to tackle that; maybe I can make it happen at the bicycle shop I work P/T at.

As a rank beginner in the motorbike world, I haven't got half the experience, smarts and equipment a lot of you wiser jedi's have!

Thanks for your time and help on this one!
xSx
2009 AVL Bullet 'Deluxe'

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 03:26:44 pm
You might be able to find someone with a good welding rig and they should be able to fix you up in 2 minutes for a $20.  Of course this depends on the break location and if you can take the rod off the bike and bring it in or maybe leave the bike on the tailgate of the truck and have him weld it there.   If they are really good the repair will end up stronger than the original.          I had my broken chain guard welded for $15 and its better than original now...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 03:44:24 pm
As a rank beginner in the motorbike world, I haven't got half the experience, smarts and equipment a lot of you wiser jedi's have!

Don't worry pilgrim, that bike will get you up to speed in no time. :D
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

xStevex

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 04:45:43 pm
The hex rod is off the bike, and where it broke is at the left side threaded end. The rod itself seems to have a bend in it on the left side as well; very slight, but noticeable. I was worried that trying to straighten the bend might weaken the rod overall.

If the rod was straight, could a length of threaded section be welded on to the left side?

I can say this about having the RE and a 1966 Triumph: my local hardware and automotive stores see me at least 3 times a week!

thanks again guys,
xSx
2009 AVL Bullet 'Deluxe'

chanderjeet

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 05:14:18 pm
Not sure how costly that rod is where you are but if I were I would change it rather than repairing it. Just my two cents :)

xStevex

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 05:47:34 pm
Hi Chanderjeet,
It's $24, plus shipping from CMW. I ordered one Monday afternoon (I broke it that morning) and I'm just being impatient because the weather has been nice and I miss riding my RE.

You are right though- the best thing would be to wait util I get the part through the mail. The dealer I bought the bike from is an hour north of me, and they don't carry very many RE parts- they only have 4 or 5 RE's at any gievn time, so they don't stock all the support parts.

Glad you got yours fixed- ride safe!
xSx
2009 AVL Bullet 'Deluxe'

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 01:35:46 am
Hi Chanderjeet,
It's $24, plus shipping from CMW. I ordered one Monday afternoon (I broke it that morning) and I'm just being impatient because the weather has been nice and I miss riding my RE.

You are right though- the best thing would be to wait util I get the part through the mail. The dealer I bought the bike from is an hour north of me, and they don't carry very many RE parts- they only have 4 or 5 RE's at any gievn time, so they don't stock all the support parts.

Glad you got yours fixed- ride safe!
xSx
I did a spot weld until my hex bolt arrived in the mail.
I lost no riding time.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

xStevex

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 01:35:27 pm
Hello Friends,
Here's the epilogue to my broken hexagonal footpeg mounting bar adventure:

On Friday I needed to be somewhere for 12 noon, and was really hoping to ride my RE. At 10:30 am the part arrived, which was great news as I had consigned myself to not getting the part until Monday (today, 9/21) or so. Some furious (but careful and focused) assembling and I was back on the road at noon.

Thanks to all for their help and coaching- in the end it seems the right decision was to wait for the part, which arrived in the nick of time.

xStevex

2009 AVL Bullet 'Deluxe'