Author Topic: Anything interesting fallen off your Enfield recently?  (Read 3404 times)

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 09:34:47 pm
Most of us older guys will remember the days when you ordered your new car from the dealer, you didn't just pick one off the lot.  When you ordered, you hoped you got a car built on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday as the Monday and Friday absenteeism at the factory often resulted in loose and missing parts on your new car.  I think my '06 Electra was built on Wednesday because in over 7,000 miles I have only had one bolt fall off, and that was holding the evaporation canister in place and the hoses held it in place as well as the bolt.   Other than that it has been great if you don't count the sprag clutch that was replaced under warranty (and yes I now have all the latest mods for that).
That being said, last weekend I went for a fairly long ride with my son and was just congratualting myself on a new daily high mileage mark, 425 miles, when the chain decided it had had enough and deposited itself on the pavement.  I can tell you with some certainty, that engine braking doesn't work real well without the chain.  Fortunately I was within a mile of home, so it was a quick trip to get the trailer and bring her back home.  Since Monday was a holiday, I waited until Tuesday to call the good folks at CMW and order a new chain.  Typical of their excellent service, it was shipped the same day and arrived halfway across the country three days later using good ole ground shipping via UPS.
Tomorrow will be the first day back out with the new chain on a charity ride for a friend who was killed in Afghanistan, so hopefully nothing will drop off during the ride.
RE's Rule!
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

chanderjeet

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 06:01:53 pm
i had a girl friend who used to fall asleep

That's an art my wife hasn't yet perfected.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 04:43:24 am
Weekly maintinance for me includes a walk around with the wrenches. I had the 'Classic Enfield Exhaust System Silencer fall off and scratch up the pretty Chrome. While reattaching the silencer I noticed that there were several loose nuts (more than the one between the saddle and handlebars. ;) ) Now ALL nuts and bolts are checked weekly. Any found loose get a dose of "Locktite"
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

catastrophe

• Bulleteer
  • Love the ride, live the life.
Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 11:46:17 pm
well not so much here I'm waiting for it. Sofar just the battery lock triangle clip thingy.
from 69' Beetle to 09' Bullet more than a fair trade.

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 04:01:46 pm
Giving Grommet a bit of polish today I noticed the left side sausage box was wobbly. I'd already used nylock nuts but that didn't stop the mounting bracket inside the box from breaking off.

Half an hour with a drill and a bit of mild steel and its fixed. Your nuts can be as secure as you like but its no good if the whole thing breaks.

You really have to love these bikes. They do have personality.