Author Topic: Biting the "Bullet"  (Read 4214 times)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
on: September 10, 2009, 08:15:54 am
Whoever announced that the recession is over should have his head examined! Apparently the rest of the country (world?) didn't get that memo.

I have been hoping upon hope that things would bottom out by now, but no. Tonight I was the first on our crew to hear about the second round of cutbacks. We still have our jobs (unlike several folks during the first round) but we've been reduced to a 35 hour work week.

I have been putting this off for quite some time but now it seems I will have to sell the cows to pay for the barn.

Ennie, my beloved 2006 Bullet, is up for sale.

What bugs me most about having to do this is that she and I "bonded" so well. Because she is of the old school of motorcycling, I got to renew my mechanical abilities  :D and together we traveled on pavement, dirt and snow to see many wonderful sights. Her versatile handling abilites inspired confidence and sharpened my skills in a variety of terrain. And, perhaps most of all, she has introduced me to so many nice people, here on this forum, on the road, and especially on May 23rd in Seattle, when the NW area owners gathered to meet. (What a neat bunch of people!)

I've treated her well, cared for her, kept her fed and tidy, and spoiled her with many accessories.

I hope I can find her a good home.

If anyone wants to PM me about this I will be sure my bio is up to date. I posted here under Bullet Classic Models because, well, that's what I own and that's where most that know me hang out. I thought you all would like to know first of the hard decision I have had to make.

(Now, if I win the Lotto, things might change.... ;D)

-Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:47:20 pm
I would suggest talking to the DMV about putting your bike in suspended animation, instead.  Not paying insurance, registration fees, maintenace costs, etc  every year will save money.  My experience is that a couple thou on a one-time sale won't really help much long term.  I don't know your life, but that's been my experience. 

Good luck, in any event.
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:37:46 pm
I feel for you man, I've taken it in the shorts flipping houses.  Once my wifes unemployment runs out we will not have enough income to cover our bills.  I've cancel my motorcycle insurance, home phone, (basic dls internet is only $14 a  month),cable, stopped eating out etc etc... We have a for sale sign on everything, but we will not be selling the Bullet.  It would only give me one more month on the mortgages anyhow and heck, it pays for itself just in fuel savings commuting to work.  The wife and I have decided that once the money runs out we will just have to let the some of the houses go and take the bankruptcy.  The only bright side is it is kinda fun and challenging to find new ways of saving money.

Good luck,
Gary
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 01:50:49 pm
If you have a good coat, you might discover the economy of using the Bullet for your daily transportation to work and other purposes.
That might save you enough money right there.
It would dramatically lower your gas budget.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

swakefield

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 02:00:25 pm
I concur.  If the bike is paid for, you are saving a good chunk of change by not operating a car.  It has been tough for us, but I know that I save about $100/ month - or more - if I ride every day. 

When I have second thoughts about riding in the cold, or some drizzle, I know I'm saving money on the bike.  Not that I need the prodding to ride, but now I don't hem and haw over whether or not I should ride.  It also keeps me from going through the drive-through at McDonalds.

I bundle up and ride till there's ice on the ground.
2000 Bullet Classic
Royal Enfield Association Member

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 05:46:38 pm
     Jesse, I am so sorry you are having issues. It is cold consolation, I know, but you are not alone. Business SUCKS. Ernie makes a good point. I have seen many people in just your position. Selling the bike will give you a short term benefit, but in the long term you will never make up the losses you will have in time and money.
     I know that you can even walk to work, so the commuting saving don't apply, but storage without the expenses of licensing, insurance and maintenance may help more than you think. If you choose storage, be sure to properly set it up for storage to avoid long term problems. It can get real expensive to restart an improperly stored bike.
     Please call me. I can help with pricing and marketing. Also, I do sell on consignment. Up in Port Angeles you will have a more limited market than I do. I can't guarantee a time frame, but I will often get you as much or more as you will get in a private party sale, plus you will have no advertising and won't have to deal with the kind of lookie-loos  that seem to haunt the used market.
     You have been a great customer. I am sorry to see you go through this. I'd be happy to help where I can.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:16:48 pm
     Gary, times sound tough for you also. Here are some things I found out that may help: A lot of mortgage lenders are willing to take a short sale. That is where the sale price does not fully cover the amount due. It is cheaper for the lender to do this than to repossess.Repossessing has the attendant costs of insurance, maintenance, sale and marketing. and money tied up in a non- liquid investment.
     For  your regular mortgage there is a federal program that allows for a reduction in payments without affecting the basic terms. It is called the Home owner's Affordability Act. Talk to your lender ASAP.
     As for cutting corners.... We are all there. Luckily, I'm blessed with a wife that really knows how to cook. She is making most of our bread. She gets 50# bags of flour and bulk yeast. It is cheaper than all but the cheapest store brand, but much healthier and much more filling. I also poop better. (AARG!! did I just say that!!!!)  Soups and stews go a long way and work great with cheap meat. We buy in bulk whenever we can.  Brown rice is more filling and healthier than pasty white rice. It is cheap in 10# or  25# bags.
     You can even economize on laundry. Most of our clothes are washed in cold water with an appropriate detergent. This saves a ton of energy. A good detergent is often cheaper than a cheap one because you use less per load.
     There are a lot of cost cutting methods. Who else will chime in?

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:23:54 pm
Selling the bike is never the answer.

Take it from a guy who has owned and worked on a Jeep for a few years. You will NEVER get back what you put into it. That old saying "you get what you put into it" is complete crap when it comes to bikes/vehicles. Or at least when it comes to resale value  :D

Try to cut corners elsewhere. I'm currenty bikless and driving a Jeep that's on it's last leg but I always find another way to save money instead of selling another vehicle. Cancelling insurance/registration and parking it for awhile helps.

Trust me, you'll just end up kicking yourself for it down the road from now if you get rid of it.  :-[
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 08:46:54 pm
I miss my 1981 Honda XL 250, I purchased new.
Sold it for nothing in 89.

Now I wish I had it for a fun kick start only  run around bike.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 10:11:20 pm

There are a lot of cost cutting methods. Who else will chime in?

I funded the Mondello head project by eating noodle ramen for months.
And I lost 33 pounds too.
That gives new meaning to "tighten your belt", believe me.
My old belts don't even fit anymore!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 10:17:59 pm
Vince,  
Thanks for the advice.   We have things under control until next summer.. Heck it only take one buyer and we are good to go,  just need to get rid of one of our 2 investment properties.    Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) we have pretty good fixed rate loans on things..  Funny in that if I had some crap ARM or some such we could  get assistance,  but since we were responsible and did not want the long term volatility we don't qualify.  

We won't even touch on the rental market..... :-\

Ahhh,  its only money... ;D   I put about 70 miles on the RE before work today,  now thats worth talking about...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 03:25:00 am
See, that's why I like you folks. Wonderful advice and ideas. Thanks!

As Vince noted I am close enough to walk to work if the mood strikes. My 2001 Toyota Tacoma has just reached the 25,000 mile mark so you can see I don't drive it much but with the 2 dogs and a yard to maintain it comes in handy (it will probably last me 20 years or more).

My wife, Barb, is a great cook so who needs to eat out!?  :) And our garden has been very productive this year.

Does anybody need any Zucchini?

I recently shopped around and found a much better credit card deal through my credit union! Helpful for those emergency times (last year it was an astounding veterinary bill).I was with Chase until they raised my rate last week by 6% (because they can!). Credit union offered 5.9% compared to the new rate at Chase of 13.24%. If you have access to a credit union give them a shake. And most credit unions no longer require that you belong to their parent organization or union.

We really have some huge zucchini's...

Insurance in our state is not mandatory for motorcycles and there is no PIP available for the driver/passenger. I keep liability on active motorcycles because if Barb is on the pillion she could sue me for any (god forbid) injury. But many of you have brought up a good point as the RE is now solo only and the "Commuter Scooter" is too small for much two-up riding. I will drop the insurance on those two.

And yes, there are many motorcycles from my past which I wish I had retained: 1978 Bultaco Frontera, 1980 SR500, 1980 V50 Moto Guzzi, 1970 R75/5 BMW, 1972 DT250...

But where would I put them all? I was footloose in those days and extra "stuff" tied me down..

Nice memories, though.

I do love the RE, she's great on the Forest Service roads and all, but I don't have a good storage space. I keep the herd under the back porch roof.  But that is far less than perfect (it faces the north and there's lots of rain and snow approaching. I once put my (now gone) R90 BMW in our crowded shed only to have it rust up and corrode badly over the winter. Not the best shed, but then, I didn't build it... I did have plans for the fall construction of a fine livery stable, but those plans, too, have fallen to the economy.

I can still go the ramen noodle route. I am a bit overgirth these days.

Vince, thanks for your marketing offer I may take you up on that.

You have all made very good suggestions and I will consider them all carefully. Thanks all!

And for your wonderful suggestions I am sending everyone a complimentary zucchini! ;D

-Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 04:19:23 am
Seriously- why does anyone still grow zuchini in this day and age?   It's like fruitcake;  whole twons just keep passing around zuchini from neighbor to neighbor.
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 04:22:12 am
Not quite up to the summer squash standard for ya I see....   :)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

StephenCB

• Bulleteer
  • I finally own one!
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 04:28:05 am
Zucchini, sauteed in olive oil, with yellow squash, green peppers, Vidalia onions, and a freshly crushed clove of garlic.

Yum
 ;D

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 04:30:13 am
  Ah yes the plant that keeps on giving, and giving.  Worked a job at a brake factory in Kentucky and for about three weeks every year you couldn't leave any window or door open or would return and find that the Zucchini fairy had come to visit.  Left my topper unlocked on my truck and found about 100 pounds of it in the bed after work one night.

But on a serious note hope all straightens out for you soon.  As a matter of fact for all of us.  A crystal ball would be nice right now.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 06:16:39 am
Zucchini, sauteed in olive oil, with yellow squash, green peppers, Vidalia onions, and a freshly crushed clove of garlic.

Yum
 ;D

Yeah!
Eamon

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 06:18:39 am
   My wife grew another bumper crop of squash. Way more than we can eat (and I like squash a lot). We took a bunch and gave them to the local food bank, and they were happy to get them.

Times are tough all over. The HD/Buell dealership I work at just devided the techs into group a and group b. One group takes this month off, then next month they switch.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 01:06:47 pm
I funded the Mondello head project by eating noodle ramen for months.
And I lost 33 pounds too.
That gives new meaning to "tighten your belt", believe me.
My old belts don't even fit anymore!
Hey Ace, if you keep that up your power to weight ratio will be so good you won't need the Mondello head! ;D
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 01:42:03 pm
Wouldn't that be a hoot.  He thinks all the mods he's making are really putting some zip in the bike and it turns out he's just losing weight!   I read once that every 7 pounds equals 1 horse power.
Run what ya brung

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 06:25:35 pm
     Jesse, I'll take you up on the zucchini. My wife like the big ones........
I like them sauteed as per Stephen.
     Jon, your dealership is not alone. I have had to make adjustments here. The local Honda store has "adjusted" wages (down, of course!).
     I did hang on to my old bikes. I purchased my 1972 Yamaha XS2 new as well as my last race bike, a 1975 Yamaha YZ360B. I will never sell them. I sure wish I had kept my RD350.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 06:37:17 pm
      Jon, your dealership is not alone. I have had to make adjustments here. The local Honda store has "adjusted" wages (down, of course!).  
Sorry to hear it.
Several family members are struggling.
I'm okay, at least next 2-3 months.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 01:04:57 am
Jon,Was wondering are you going to collect unemployment for the time you are not working?I think you would be eligible.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.