Author Topic: Brand New today  (Read 6298 times)

Kiwichick

• Scooter
on: October 27, 2007, 03:58:24 am
Hi all.  I just purchased a new black Electra X today.  It is off to be VIN'd and registered and then I guess I take posession Tuesday.

I took a Bullet out for a long ride today - a lovely day here in New Zealand, and it was just ... a kick.  So I bought one!

Nervous.  Although I've had bikes for years, Japanese (Honda, Yamaha), European (Ducati) and British (Triumph Tiger) this is my first Enfield.  The requirements around maintenance etc.  I admit, scare me a little. But I'm keen to learn.

Anyway, Just wanted to tell y'all - as I'm sure I'll be back with questions!

Cheers, Biddy

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 10:23:20 am
Happy Day!
Just....enjoy.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:11:28 pm
Most important thing on a Bullet is the first 1000 miles. Treat it gently.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 03:48:26 pm
Welcome. If you do the recommended servicing, the Electra is pretty much trouble free. I've had to tinker more with my old Japanese bikes than the Electra.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 05:40:45 pm
Biddy,
Don't be afraid, even with the more maintenance intensive Bullet most anyone is capable with a little guidance of handling it. We will all help you here and no question is studpid or too insignificant welcome!! You will love your bike and get ready to be stopped everywhere you go.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

deejay

Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 09:54:00 pm
Congrats!! ;D

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 10:50:51 pm
sUPER..  you'll be all smiles in no time ;D

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 11:08:37 pm
It's not hard to get on an RE, but it's very difficult to get back off again. If I'm not riding, I'm thinking about riding.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 11:50:40 pm
That is very true - I have not wanted to ride the Sportster for the last two days - very windy, and wet, with leaves on the roads, and feel bad. If the Enfield had an electric start on it, I would have ridden it, notwithstanding the wind, rain and leaves. 
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

prof_stack

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 12:36:41 am
That is very true - I have not wanted to ride the Sportster for the last two days - very windy, and wet, with leaves on the roads, and feel bad. If the Enfield had an electric start on it, I would have ridden it, notwithstanding the wind, rain and leaves. 
Wow, my thoughts exactly.  As a soon to be (early 2008) RE owner I recall my last Thumper, the Buell Blast and how I would find excuses TO ride.  Nowadays with the twin, I find excuses NOT to ride. 

Ride safe!

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 02:46:02 am
 :D hheee, hee.. that's the reasoNon i sold my last superbike...  I didn't want to ride it cause I only lived 10 miles from where I worked and I found minutes was all it took to get there..I just wanted to go fast.. :P

now I smile a lot and take the road less taken :D ;D

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 08:10:04 pm
Welcome to the board, Kiwichic. We need more of you lovely ladies posting here. I think you will enjoy your new bike. Just keep an eye on things like, timing, carb adjustment, valve adjustment, check for loose nuts and bolts, and check oil often during break-in. My bike has been pretty much trouble and adjustment free since break-in. Just be sure and check that oil frequently......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 03:20:37 pm
Kiwichic, here is someone who is newer than you to Enfields,,,I endorse what everyone has said about running in,,the magic of the Bullet is that the finished product will be ready after it has done 2000 miles under you,,,and that it will then be just as good as what you did in that finishing process,,,
Have fun and safe riding!!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 02:47:01 am
You should not be too worried about the maintenance issues. Have your dealer help you through them. If they are worth their keep they will be happy to help. I have a 2007 Bullet and have had zero maintenance issues yet and the Electra is supposed to be even more worry free. They are simple enough anyone can work on them you just have to learn the correct way, then the process never really changes so you are home-free.
                                                                      Cheers!
                                                                                    Jon

charte

• Bulleteer
  • Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 04:14:52 am
Welcome to the club!!

I'm only 1 month ahead of you with my new Bullet.

I'm 21 again!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 10:33:12 am by CHarte »
1969 Bullet
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
2017 Moto Guzzi VII Special