Author Topic: Insurance problems for 2009 G5 UCE  (Read 13551 times)

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 09:27:39 pm
I've had no problems with state Farm, with this or the Ural.  Full coverage.

rnewton75

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 12:02:15 am
Great news everybody!!

Progressive got it handled!  I now have full coverage insurance and had my choice of all the features, services, deductibles, etc... that they offer.

Thanks to an email from Doneen at CMW I was able to make this happen.  I told the phone rep (at Progressive) that I was going to post the exact procedure for other RE owners in the future.  So here it is:

1st - As Kevin said earlier, keep it simple.  Tell them it's a RE Bullet 500, that's it.
It will show up in their system.

2nd - Let them compile your quote.

3rd - (this is where you may get the glitch) Give them the VIN as they complete the transaction.  the VIN will come back as a "kit, homemade, or state issued manufacture ID number.  At this point everything except the liability coverage falls off of your quote. 

4th - The phone rep now has to manually change the "KHS" code on the screen to "REG".  This is more difficult than it sounds, you have to get a phone rep who has the authority to do this, it tooke me 6 calls to find that person.

5th - Now, the quote has to be recompiled, it will take them a few moments and you may have to help them remember your exact coverages.

6th - That's about it, the policy will still say it's a "K"it, "H"omemade or "S"tate assigned number but it allows them to sell you any coverage you want.

The person who answered my phone rep's questions is named Lisette at ext. 4533.  she was recomended as a contact person at progressive by CMW. 

Thanks to everyone here for the help with this.  I hope this post will help someone in the future.

PS: Progressive was really the cheapest by far, that really made it worth the trouble.

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 12:49:09 am
Great news, rnewton75. See you on the road!

I too appreciate the extra effort that people at CMW expend on their customers. All y'all do a great job being responsive.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 01:00:15 am
Seems like allot of unnecessary trouble , that's why I left Progressive.

Glad you got a good rate.

What ever happened to treating the costumer right?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 02:43:33 am
Ah,,,  who needs insurance anyhow...  Its all a racket...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 06:53:37 am
Ah,,,  who needs insurance anyhow...  Its all a racket...
indeed, but law is law and i'd hate to be caught without my proof of insurance on the road...

rnewton75

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 10:07:20 am
Thanks FieldWorker,  Are there any nice back roads in the Davidson area (I think that's where either you or Carl said you are)?  I live in the Belmont/Mt. Holley area and I'm currently running the back roads here trying to do the run-in by the book.  But, I'm alwaays loking for new scenery...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 03:50:20 pm
This is the damedest thing. You would think the simplest thing would be for them to just fix the glitch in their system. Someone at Progressive doesn't understand the the US and worldwide VIN system. At least we now know how to get around their system and make it puke out the right data.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 06:58:59 pm
My '07 is insured with USAA... no probs getting it ensured, but my proof of insurance says "Royal Infield"...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: September 11, 2009, 05:58:16 am
Thanks FieldWorker,  Are there any nice back roads in the Davidson area (I think that's where either you or Carl said you are)?  I live in the Belmont/Mt. Holley area and I'm currently running the back roads here trying to do the run-in by the book.  But, I'm alwaays loking for new scenery...
Lots of nice back roads around Lake Norman, south Iredell county, out NC49 is nice as well. If you have time, out west is nice - Blue Ridge Parkway, of course, but on the way is fine as well.
I went down 49, took back roads to Beaufort and the outer banks. It was a great ride, except for the part where I used to live (Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville) - 8 lane highway!
I followed the book for  run-in as well (frustrating not to go past 45), but now at 2,500, my G5 runs nicely. Worth the wait.

rnewton75

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 01:57:12 am
Update everybody!

I've spoken to James from Progressive and he sent me this email to post on his behalf.  There may have been some difficulty getting my policy but we need to keep in mind that we're not riding a mainstream bikes and hic-ups are to be expected.  The following email is a sincere commitment to serve the RE crowd. This says worlds about their customer service   In a world where it seems to be rapidly declining:

Thanks for calling me back about your Royal Enfield motorcycle and the
problem you had insuring it with Progressive.

The issue that we are having is one of programming rather than one of not
wanting to write these bikes for full coverage. The VIN number that RE uses
starts with the letters “ME”, in our system this is recognized as the state
abbreviation for Maine. They use the letters “ME” when they issue a state
assigned VIN.

We are currently working on reprogramming this so that our system will not
default VIN numbers that begin with the letters “ME”. For the time being we
do have a workaround in place and can definitely write these vehicles for
full coverage. We will be making our sales and service folks aware of this
problem in the near future so that there will less confusion when people
call in for a quote.

Feel free to post my name and number so that if people have a problem I can
address it. People calling in for a quote should have the sales rep contact
me in the event of a problem with the quoting process.

Thank you,

Jim Burgett
Progressive Insurance
Motorcycle Underwriter
1-800-937-7704  ext 57436