Author Topic: Insurance problems for 2009 G5 UCE  (Read 13561 times)

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 05:18:29 pm
Wow.  I'm stunned- you both lost (one way or another) two of the all-time great motorcycles.  The hawk and the 700s were both  -well, I shouldn't rub it in. 

Thanks a lot, UncleErnie. I've had regrets for three years, but the G5 makes me feel better now!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 11:22:56 pm
Several insurance companies -like Dairyland don't write insurance in North Carolina. 
I think it may be because the state dictates basic rates, so some companies don't feel like playing.   If all you want is basic liability, I don't think there's any real competition because the all have to charge the same.  That's also a reason why you can't get bike insurance for a whole year; the insurance companies don't want to miss a possible rate hike.
Welcome to North Carolina.
Run what ya brung

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 11:30:07 pm
$99 a year , but then again my RE sleeps half the year too.

I'm looken for a good deal on moth balls .
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 11:33:23 pm
My insurance covers the whole year, I find a few days even in winter to go for a short ride.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

rnewton75

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 01:14:28 am
I was able to get basic liability for $81yr from Progressive, so at least I'm legal.  But, I'd like Full coverage so I'm going to continue looking.  I would assume that a bike is either insurable or uninsurable not just a little bit insurable.  I'm actually trying to give them more money and they won't take it!  Thanks for the ideas here people, I'm going to start calling all of your ideas on Tuesday.  I'll post my results.

I took a look at USAA and they seem to only cater to active service & Veterans (of which I'm neither).

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 01:41:01 am
Several insurance companies -like Dairyland don't write insurance in North Carolina. 
I think it may be because the state dictates basic rates, so some companies don't feel like playing.   If all you want is basic liability, I don't think there's any real competition because the all have to charge the same.  That's also a reason why you can't get bike insurance for a whole year; the insurance companies don't want to miss a possible rate hike.
Welcome to North Carolina.
Uncle E,
I have Progressive, and get it for one year at a time.
Also, I had my cars with Geiko and was given a quote for the MC's. progressive was way cheaper. I later found out if you deal directly with Geico MC it is cheaper that going through their auto division.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 04:51:21 pm
My insurance agent once explained that your "yearly" fee already takes into account that your bike is off the road for winter.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 05:22:24 pm
My insurance agent once explained that your "yearly" fee already takes into account that your bike is off the road for winter.

I considered taking the Enfield off the road last winter. I ran the numbers and by the time I paid for a new plate the next spring, a new inspection, and new personal property tax (it runs with the plate), i wouldn't be saving enough to worry about.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 06:20:46 pm
Progressive does this all the time. All VIN number prefixes are assigned on worldwide basis by one group. It is managed by the SAE in the US. ME3 is our worldwide designation. It used to be MBF. After the first three characters the rest denote engine size, hp and coded check digit, model year and place of manufacturer. Nothing on a VIN denotes model such as the C5. When the SAE accepts your WMI (world number) it goes in the public DOT database. A manufacturer also has other paperwork and certification obligation to DOT which are also listed in the database. This is the only official registry of bikes which can be sold in the US. EPA is a separate matter.
  For some reason Progressive has had this trouble for 10 years. We find it is very agent and customer service representative specific. Yonr best bet is to not confuse them with facts, just tell them the model is a Bullet and don't mention C-5 or G-5.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

rnewton75

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 07:33:10 pm
Hey Kevin,  thanks for the info.

Is there any company you'd recomend that will provide full coverage?

Actually, does anyone here have full coverage insurance?  with who?

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 07:57:56 pm
Hey Kevin,  thanks for the info.

Is there any company you'd recomend that will provide full coverage?

Actually, does anyone here have full coverage insurance?  with who?

I have full coverage on my 2008 Bullett,

with progressive.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 08:12:27 pm
With Progressive, I was on the phone for an hour, tyring to get basic coverage . What a goat rope dealing with them. To make a long story short, I drop Progressive because I think the price they gave me was more for a Brough Superior then a RE.

The best $ 50 I lost due to my own stupidity was worth it to switch to Gieco and 10 minutes later I was money ahead.

I complaned to the Progressive supervisor and even called USAA to inform them of the situation in case others were boon doggled as I was.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

BRGreen

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 11:47:54 pm
I also have my insurance with Progressive through USAA. They kept telling me that the first few letters indicated that the RE is a kit bike (something I built from various parts). It took several days to clear up the problem. USAA always seems to have the best prices, coverage  and service. I've been with them since '65. I wonder why they hooked up with Progressive?
The 60's: Saw it all, did it all, just can't remember it all.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 03:16:14 pm
It is clear from your post that whoever told you that had no idea what they were talking about or had bad info. I know quite a bit about WMI numbers and they are ALWAYS the first three characters.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Lmundy

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 04:52:53 pm
I got my C-5 Friday and had the same experience with Progressive when I called directly by phone - they would only sell me liability coverage, couldn't find the model/brand etc.  This morning I called my local independent agent who had sold me the Progressive policy in the first place, who said she would either get it straight with Progressive or would get me an equivalent policy from Dairyland or one of their other lines.  The lady said she had insured several Royal Enfields, talked to Progressive, and now I have comprehensive coverage.  It may be that there is something weird with their database when you call them by phone, but my agent apparently got it fixed.