Author Topic: 'Lunch Box' Tail-light.....  (Read 1129 times)

Roundsworth

• Scooter
on: September 05, 2009, 08:10:53 pm
Hoot Mon!
I finally got rid of the ugly stock tail-light and turn signals. I installed the scrambler tail-light and the cute little scrambler turn signals. Wow! What an unbelievable difference it makes. The stock assembly, to me, looked like it belonged on a different machine and was thrown on our Bullets as some sort of an afterthought. I used the single mounting hole in the fender for the bottom bolt on the scrambler set-up and drilled 2 new holes up top-side. Using this procedure allowed the turn signals to point straight back, not up in the sky like the original! Cheers!

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:24:42 pm
Yeah, that single point fixing always was a bit optimistic. My tail light assy. would windmill round until I added some extra brackets to make a three point fixing. If I had some spare cash I would fit something nicer too.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:39:42 pm
I had a little adventure a couple of nights ago. Riding home at midnight I got caught out in a heavy rain storm.

As I continued home, my entire tail light assembly decided to detach itself. Thats the number plate, tail light and indicators, all held on my one bolt!
The complete assembly swung down into the rear wheel and got mangled. Luckily  I had slowed down because of the rain so I managed to stay on. I limped home the last 10 miles, slightly shaken and very wet.
I have spent the last couple of days fabricating a new rear end assembly and although its not perfect its certainly held on more securely than the original.

I've had a couple of bits rattle loose in the past and regularly check all the fixings;  all except the tail assembly bolt !

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 02:46:11 pm
the welded nuts that held the chrome-like fixture onto the black housing broke on mine. replaced with tombstone led and is held on by lockwashers AND locknuts.
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 03:00:28 pm
Something's wrong.  I can't find the link to pictures.
Run what ya brung

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 05:06:06 pm
Here's mine. Basic mod but effective.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe