Author Topic: Heated gloves etc.  (Read 9664 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
on: October 26, 2007, 07:08:26 pm
We often times get questions about whether or not the Enfield electrical system will support electrically heated gloves, vests etc. We got a report today from a very technically astutue dealer (Centaur Cycles in NM) who is running a 36watt vest with his Electra and reports that the system seems to have plenty of power. Any other experiences out there?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:28:16 pm
Thats\'s starting to sound pretty good. Will you be offering heated apparel in your next catelog?

krodaddy

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 03:00:13 am
I use Gerbing heated gloves and a Garmin GPS on my 01 Bullet with no problems at all.
Krodaddy

deejay

Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 09:58:01 pm
I have this jacket...

http://www.brookstone.com/store/product.asp?product_code=575290

Works well, and has a rechargeable battery instead of needing a power source.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:10:03 pm
I Googled heated gloves, and when I found out how much they cost, not to mention heated jacket liners and/or pants, I think I'll just add layers.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 02:53:01 am
yea I got all this heated stuff I bought when i would leave in October. late to go somewhere... pricey but works..  don't know about U all //  coldest I've ridden in for over 200 miles..  29 0r 30.. depending on the hills.. in the smokies heaed for folly beach..    finally got cold..  I like the battery powered polartec thing presented here..

I mean with a working light switch  I can watche the amp go down  by just clicking..

I might try the gloves..   I have the whole setup..     whoo's to say  and they are on first

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 08:02:53 pm
Have used a heated vest for years on my BMWs. Now that I'm old and sick, don't ride in cold weather anymore. A little tip: always wear your heated vest over a T-shirt, then put your sweatshirt over the vest. The heating elements will be closer to your skin and keep you toasty warm, just like mama's chicken soup.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 09:33:43 pm
I have never had any heated clothing - and I don't get cold.. must be lucky I suppose.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 01:13:52 am
how can U not BE cold and live  N iNdiaNa? :o :o :o

I lived there in the early 70's .. transportataion was a 175 Honda.. 2 cylinder..  hmm come to think about it , I can't remember if I was cold or not.. ??? ::) :P

;) :D ;D

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 08:57:08 am
I stayed one winter, in Bismark. That got way down there, but I still wasn't cold, so long as I wore winter style clothing. Interesting place - I got stuck in snow, twice in one week and needed towing, then the cam sensor went late one night, and I needed towing again, - 31º, dark, and no engine. First emergency towing I had ever got, they arrived in 25 minutes. ( I still wasn't cold, but was getting there. )
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 06:00:19 pm
Those electric vests are nice. Just your t-shirt, vest, sweatshirt, and leather jacket. No bundling up, you will stay warm......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 06:12:17 pm
and for the fashion-conscious among us, Gerbing makes a nice heated jacket liner and will also heat-trace your existing liner for about $100. Nice to have, although it draws about 70 watts. The electronic controller they make keeps the average drain down a bit.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 11:19:57 pm
I'm just curious, anyone ever try using those little heat packets that you can stick into skiing gloves? Usually you shake them up or bang them around to get them going, then just slip them in your palm or on top of the hand and they keep them warm for about 2 hours.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 12:30:03 am
Considering the cost of the various heating options, I don't think I'll worry about it. Besides, the dead of winter here  pretty nice. 40-50 during the day, and just about freezing at night. My trouble is, I'm so alimatized to the warm weather that even our winter feels darn cold. I admit it, I'm a temp wimp.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 01:38:56 am
40 - 50 during the day in winter!! where are you, I should come visit.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 11:58:57 pm
Do you mean 40-50 F above zero or below? Here in MN we much prefer the below zero weather. Keeps the riff-raff out. It is generally regarded as warm until the hairs in your nose freeze with each breath. Anything above 15 degrees F (-9C) above zero is considered "shorts and T-shirt weather". I am not making this up.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 01:03:47 am
That is true, I have done it myself. After the cold of the couple of bad months in Bismark, we saw sunlight, and it was warm.. really warm, I had shorts and a tee shirt, and was enjoying myself, then I saw the thermometer: 22º F. It was the best couple of days in the winter, I think.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 02:15:35 am
U guYs are reaLLy wEiRd.. I Like that in a PeRsOn ;D :P :D