Author Topic: C5 & "competition"  (Read 26141 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #45 on: September 14, 2009, 01:10:13 pm

This is a whole new solo. Shorter wheelbase, rear disc.

Except for the disc brakes it looks just like the '95 solo I test rode. That was before the wolf or retro solo bikes. I liked it, but I didn't buy it because I knew I could get a used BMW R/75 cheaper, and that's what I did.  :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:18:21 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: September 14, 2009, 02:55:05 pm
"Most dealers are sold out of this years models, but I don't think you can beat that V7 Classic for over-all performance and looks.  It's a great bike.  If i was looking for a new bike, that would be at the top of the list."  UncleErnie

Amen, Br. Ernie... and I'm reading riders' reports (not just magazine articles) about the V7... I read comments like, as I paraphrase: Don't let the specs (49 hp) fool you; in addition to the gobs of torque, this bike has easily broken the 90 mph mark... and, I haven't really pushed her yet because I'm barely beyond the break in process.   So, at a claimed dry weight of 401 lbs., it is not an overweight motorcycle.  The claimed 49 hp rating does not make the bike a speed demon.  However, its HP to Weight Ratio is a respectable .1222%.  I also read that it's a great handling bike.

Lastly, I have passed on the gallery information to my Jenny... again, I thank you for your gesture!  :)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #47 on: September 15, 2009, 03:40:13 pm
Anybody been paying attention to the new Norton 961?
It's slated to be released this month at $18k.
Vertical twin with 85 hp and 65 ft-lbs of torque.
Weight is 414 pounds dry.
Made in England.
Rather expensive, but I think a decent newer version of the Commando, and more power than a Triumph Thruxton 952cc, and about equal to a Ducati Sport Classic 1000cc.
Because of the cost, I expect it will be primarily for the Norton aficionados who will pay more to have a Norton.

Here's a pic
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:56:36 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #48 on: September 15, 2009, 04:22:22 pm
I've been watching it for a couple of years, I hope they make it to the street.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: September 15, 2009, 04:55:50 pm
Yes, Br. Ace... I saw the (red, Kenny Dreer) prototype at the ATL Cycle World Motorcycle Show a few years back... it might have been that same year I met (and spoke with) you and Tait Bolton... it is an unbelievably gorgeous machine -- especially in the red color that resembles the red of the RE Deluxe model...  ::)

Papa Juan

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: September 15, 2009, 07:11:46 pm
Br. Blue, I neglected to mention that, if I was a "hack driver" like you or a "hack of a driver" like Br. Ernie, I would undoubtedly own a Ural.  I "really like" those rigs and "love" the Retro model.  Do these statements give away my feelings about these rigs and the particular model I would own?  The only change I would make to my Retro Ural, if I owned one, would be to paint it -- frame and all -- in the RE Deluxe red color.  ;)

P.S. I really wish I was headed north with our brother, BigDon!
As, you guys will find out, the moniker really fits this big and loving bear of a man!   :D

Papa Juan

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: September 15, 2009, 11:41:19 pm
Well Cabo, i hope Big Don can swim, because they are predicting rain all week.
Won't bother Uncle Festus though, he doesn't know when to come in out of the rain. ;D
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: September 15, 2009, 11:47:06 pm
Well Cabo, i hope Big Don can swim, because they are predicting rain all week.
Won't bother Uncle Festus though, he doesn't know when to come in out of the rain.  ;D  BRW

:D :D :D

Papa Juan

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: September 16, 2009, 01:51:11 am
Run what ya brung

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #54 on: September 16, 2009, 08:00:01 am
All the Enfields are simple machines compared to the others mentioned above - only one cylinder for example.  Can't get much simpler nor easier to work on.  So that decides it for me, here in outer left field, where the nearest dealer is 1400 miles or so away.

I think my Machismo, with no electric starter, separate gear box, simple, easy to work on carb, beats even the UCE, for me, that is.

Now my new EV, when it is complete, will be even simpler and cheaper to own, though it does have three wheels.

Nice to like what you have and not be looking around all the time.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 03:47:40 pm
Maybe i can jump in here? I just bought a clean low mileage Kaw 440 LTD to supplement my 500 ES. Whilst it is a perfectly reasonable UJM it reinforces why i was drawn to the RE in the first place. The Enfield is, IMO, everything a bike needs to be and nothing more. I simply enjoy knowing that it will work and respond the same way every time i ride it,wether we are talking speed,handling, or whatever.Some people say "character", i say it is just sound basic design, build quality notwithstanding.I contemplated a new C5/G5 but for some reason i have yet to warm to it.
Cheers.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: September 16, 2009, 03:53:22 pm
"Nice to like what you have and not be looking around all the time."  LJRead

Well, Br. Larry, you are correct.  I sold other bikes to end up with the one I really like.  Perla, as you know, is that stunningly beautiful, 2004 Sixty-5 I run around with!  In fact, I am twice blessed when it comes to running with beauty for the longest time.  You see, I have also been running around with a remarkable person who is a stunningly beautiful lady, also.  Graciela and I celebrated 41 years of marriage on September 7... WOWZAA!!!  :)

Having said all this about Perla and Graciela, I must confess that my wondering eyes do betray my passion for these two ladies and I do find myself "looking around all the time", brother... WOWZAA!!!  ;)

Papa Juan

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #57 on: September 17, 2009, 12:33:18 pm
  Many congratulations on your 41st anniversary.  And may you and your two lovely ladies have many more.  WOWZAA, WOWZAA, WOWZAA.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #58 on: September 17, 2009, 12:54:38 pm
Yes Papa Juan, blessings on your 41st  anniversary!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #59 on: September 17, 2009, 05:20:22 pm
All of us I think wander a bit with our eyes and the ladies, I know I do, and my wife is amused by it, but doesn't take it personally.  I suppose it would be the same with bikes, but there are few here for the eye to wander over, and, as Ace pointed out, seeing them in person is far different than photos in a magazine (same with women too!  although there is a rich assemblage of beautiful young women here, flirtatious as anything)

That being said, the Bible has a suggestion to keep our eyes front and center to avoid trouble - good advice, no?

I'll be having my 28th anniversary in December, my wife, at 51 is still a 'looker'.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base