Author Topic: squeaking / chirping sound from the primary side  (Read 5044 times)

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
on: September 21, 2009, 09:54:54 pm
I am getting a squeaking chirping sound from the primary side when the clutch is disengaged (lever pulled in). I believe it is the clutch bearing. I checked for oil in the primary side and it has oil. I hope the bearing isn't bad so I don't have to haul it to the dealer 2 hours away. I'm hoping its just something caught in the bearing like a metal sliver or sealer or something that will work it's way out. I did have a bunch of sealer and gasket material on the suction screen when I did the first oil change after the recall work. Any ideas?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:31:24 am
I'm curious - was the recall work done by your dealer - or at CMW? The clutch bearing is HUGE for the application on that bike - and it's VERY easy to access. Simply remove the primary cover and there it'll be. The lifter pin that goes in the middle of it may be the culprit - it should NOT be stuck in the primary cover and should be free to move in and out. I've seen a couple of them stuck for whatever reason - dirt, improper installation, etc ... but once out, a light polishing will do nicely. Let me know, eh?
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 01:30:14 am
 :o Dude,  did someone empty a dustpan into your oil filler hole? That is one funky filter....

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 01:54:41 am
I'm curious - was the recall work done by your dealer - or at CMW? The clutch bearing is HUGE for the application on that bike - and it's VERY easy to access. Simply remove the primary cover and there it'll be. The lifter pin that goes in the middle of it may be the culprit - it should NOT be stuck in the primary cover and should be free to move in and out. I've seen a couple of them stuck for whatever reason - dirt, improper installation, etc ... but once out, a light polishing will do nicely. Let me know, eh?
The recall was done at the dealer, Interstate Motorcycles. Is the lifter pin what's called the Clutch Push Pad part #570446 in the parts manual? I called Interstate today but they are closed on Mondays. I will inspect the lifter pin and clean and polish it, but I want to see what Bill (Slam) says before I do anything. Thanks for your reply.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:35:40 pm
You are correct about the lifter pin - and Bil is a pretty good fellow - he'll take care of you, I'm sure!

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:18:51 pm
You are correct about the lifter pin - and Bil is a pretty good fellow - he'll take care of you, I'm sure!
I remove the primary cover and the lifter pin and bearing. The bearing seems to be fine. The lift pin didn't stick in the primary cover. It had some black gunk on it but not bad. It does have some wear on the pin as you can see in the pic. I don't know if this normal wear or not, didn't look too bad to me. I cleaned up the lifter pin and squirted carb. cleaner thru. the bearing and in the clutch shaft where the pin goes to clean them out. I am going to reassemble now and hope for the best.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 09:02:44 pm
Well got it back together and the squeaking is gone  ;D Hopefully it will stay gone! Thanks for the help ScooterBob.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 01:25:33 pm
Good deal on the fix! I have found that this little part will "sound off" in the presence of a little detritus from the clutch. I also like to goop 'em up with a little grease upon re-assembly so it doesn't have to wait for oil. Be sure to put a squirt of oil in that primary drive side upon re-assembly so it'll have a bit of lube until the engine gets a bit over there - that could have been the whole problem! Consider yourself a Royal Enfield UCE Clutch Release Bearing Expert now! Heeheehee!!!  ;D