Author Topic: UCE Fuel Warning  (Read 3426 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
on: September 02, 2009, 02:17:09 pm
My Fault :- ran out of petrol the other day, getting carried away by how many miles to the gallon I was getting, and waiting for the low fuel light to come on. Well it didn't, but I ran out of petrol!!
Haven't checked yet, but it is either the bulb that has gone, or it is the low fuel sensor,that is "dickey". If its the bulb -no problem. If its the sensor, still no major problem, but I will now have to empty the tank, ( and there is no convenient little drain tap that you can just connect to) and not sure, but does the fuel have to be pumped out of the tank, (using the fuel tank pump), or is the fuel pump solely for the F. Inj. to work. Or maybe its a warrenty issue ( if the fuel sensor).

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:41:24 pm
To know how much gas you have, open the cap and look inside.  Glasses and/or a flash light might help.

2 ways to get gas out;  put a long hose in the filler cap, put a finger over the end while it's in your mouth, slowly suck until you see gas rising and then put the end in a can lower than the tank.  OR- take the tank off and turn it upside down while the cap is open.
Run what ya brung

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:35:33 pm
considering, you should just switch out the bulb and run her dry again. if the light doesn't come on, then it's probably a wiring issue which you can take to the dealer to get fixed right up. if it was a sensor issue, i would guess the check engine light would be on, and that's another thing you can self-diagnose.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:23:28 pm
Here is a snippet I got from REM awhile back.

"Fuel sensor working (as the float can sometime get affected by the magnetic flux interference with its mounting threads inside the tank.( Loosening the sensor by about half a turn to 1 turn and re-tightening can possibly help to break the magnetic flux interference and correct this.)"

It may be worth a try. The fuel sensor is on the right side of the tank opposite the fuel pump. It is plastic so take it easy on it.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 06:34:48 pm
I don't own a UCE, just a shade tree thinking out loud:

Don't the dummy lights self test each time you turn the ignition switch on?

If that is the case and you don't see the light; check the bulb ,or connection at the bulb.

Check the easy stuff first.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 11:44:19 am
Eventually got round to checking the bulbs. OK.
Then found a connection block, ( adjacent to the sensor) completly disconeccted. This must have been like this from the "recall".
Have re-connected and wiil now wait (with caution) untill fuel level drops, and see if warning light illuminates.
(tried to syphone of all fuel from tank, but unable to drain completly)
Thanks for all the tips/advice.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 12:35:16 pm
I was sure it would be something simple, glad you found it,
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Keith Cousins

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:05:58 am
Martyn

Hello - I covered approx 35 miles from the low fuel light indicator  coming on.Still had some fuel in the tank when I filled up.

Cheers

Keith

ps - see you on the 11th if you are coming over for the run to the bunker !
Keith