Author Topic: Where to fit a suitable clock?  (Read 7767 times)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
on: October 26, 2007, 05:19:28 pm
I found this a very satisfactory solution.

Items used.
A cheap watch (I paid the equivalent of about 5 US dollars).
A key ring with fob/logo.
A small section of double sided adhesive tape.

Obvious but I'll go through the making of it anyway!

Remove the key rings fob. I used a small hacksaw to cut a section then twisted the remains away with a pair of pliers.
This leaves a leather key ring with a small horizontal leather tubed 'flap'. Take the watch and remove the spring bar pins and strap. Retain at least one spring bar pin!!
Refit the watch to the key ring with spring bar pin through the flap. Add the double sided tape to the underside to retain the watch and prevent it:- a) flapping around and b) putting a strain on the single spring bar retaining pin.

Result is an easy-to-read clock while on the move!!!   :)

AND

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:55:49 am by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

deejay

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 05:57:45 pm
looks to me like you should forget the time and get some more miles on that bike.

;D

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 08:10:13 pm
deejay.
It has been 'once-around-the-clock'..................................... OK, not!
Are US speedos supplied in kilometres an hour priority scale and read distance the same? Well our British (European) ones do and I can't get my head round kilometres covered. So, that is a new replacement MILE READING speedo.

Err, Kevin I guess you have figured now that is British ingenuity at work here LOL. Mind you, we Brits haven't got an Enfield forum site as good as yours is here so ................................... ;D

Ducati 916 'L' twin

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 08:16:36 pm
Us speedos are in MPH, and the odo is in miles..  Get someone here to send you one over..
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 08:47:28 pm
Just after I posted that I wondered if I had made an error. Oh well where to you think we learned our engineering? As the Brit car and motorcycle industry proved they are some of the best engineers around.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 09:33:15 pm
I'd agree Kevin, but we seem to be able to develop great ideas............ and then give 'em away for peanuts (groundnuts?) :'(!

Doh!!!

Ducati 916 'L' twin

bill

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 06:59:29 pm
My PT Cruiser has a beautiful small, retro-looking clock. It's 12 volt & would look appropriate on a Bullet. Check one out. Don't know what they cost. Would send a photo, but don't know how yet.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 12:44:17 pm
Aerostich has some neat clocks, thermometers, and compasses that just clip nicely on handlebars at http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Clock-Clip-p-17651.html.  I have the clock on my new Bullet, and the compass on the Bonneville, though I can't say the compass is very accurate...I think it's affected by the metal around it, so probably isn't the greatest,  :-\ but the little clock is cheap ($16) and works like a charm--runs off one of those tiny batteries, and they seem to last like the proverbial duracell rabbit. :)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 03:18:28 pm
  OK call me wierd but I have a small clock strapped to my left wrist. I find that I can see it all the time.  It is illuminous as well so I can see it in the dark. If I go into a dark wardrobe and shut the door I can still see it.  As it stays fastened to my wrist at all times it doubles up as a what I call a "daytime piece"  I can also check what time the bus comes.

Its a Japanese watch but British engineering/ idea
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 03:25:17 pm
At risk of hijacking.... I saw a picture on this forum of an speedometer in KPH with a white or cream dial. It was beautiful and I would love to have one.

Anyone know anything about them, i.e. where to buy? how much?, etc.

Phil

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 09:24:12 pm
Phil - don't know if this is the one you are thinking about, but there is one speedo available in the UK which has a white face, three warning lights (main beam, neutral and turn signals) asnd which indicates KPH only.  It's fitted as standard to some of the home (Indian) market models.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

geoffbaker

Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 12:06:32 am
I bought and mounted one of the small clocks CMW sells; I find it easy to ride and fits with the overall look of the RE nicely.

I needed one because in cold weather I cant roll my gloves down to read my watch and still ride safely...

I learned this lesson because my girlfriend was very annoyed when I didn't call her on a long ride when I was supposed to...

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 01:13:15 am
Could you put your watch"time piece" outside of your glove.  I think Micheal Jackson does something like that,--maybe not.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 05:59:57 am
Could you put your watch"time piece" outside of your glove.  I think Micheal Jackson does something like that,--maybe not.
I think he did...   
But I don't think he RODE  an Enfield!!!
                      - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 07:56:11 pm
I've had this little Formotion clock for over two years.  Weather proof and keeps good time.  Don't ride much at night so lack of a light isn't a problem.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com