Author Topic: C-5 recall?  (Read 2622 times)

joythumper

• Scooter
on: September 01, 2009, 12:40:24 am
I was told that the new C-5s have arrived in Austin, but that they have to have some recall work done before they can be delivered. I thought the recall just included the G-5 not the C-5. What gives?

Lmundy

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:29:02 pm
As I understand it, the recall includes all or substantially all of the UCE-engined bikes up to a certain point, which would include yours and mine (if yours is in Austin now, hopefully mine's in Ft. Worth).  My dealer tells me our bikes will be (or were) shipped with the necessary recall parts and that it's not a huge deal to correct (given that they have to drain the sump and open up the tranny and swap some parts out), and that you really wouldn't want to chance riding it until this is done anyway.  Here's the official poop I found:

Classic Motorworks, USA has issued a recall for a number of unit construction 2009 Royal Enfield Bullets for a problem with galling on the clutch shaft. Please read below for further details.
Manufacturer: Classic Motorworks Limited, USA
Models affected:
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Electra E-5 EFI
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet G5 Classic EFI
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet G5 Deluxe EFI
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet G5 Military EFI
NHTSA Campaign Number: 09V235000
Potential Units Affected: 196
Problem: Classic Motorworks is recalling 196 model year 2009 Bullet Electra E-5, Bullet G5 Classic, Bullet G5 Military, and Bullet G5 Deluxe motorcycles equipped with the unit construction, EFI engine. These motorcycles can experience third gear galling on the clutch shaft due to lack of lubrication. This condition can allow the gear to seize to the shaft, causing rear wheel lock up. This could result in a crash that could cause injury or death to the rider.

Corrective Action: Dealers will inspect and replace the third gear and clutch shaft with increased clearance free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on or before June 29, 2009. Owners may contact Classic Motorworks at 1-800-201-7472.

...so, we're getting bikes we won't have to take back to the dealer, because they'll be delivered with shiny new tranny parts in the first place. 

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:42:45 am
Austin has a very good service department and they elected to do the recall work on the bikes they just ordered themselves. Shouldn't take them too long
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com