Author Topic: loosing parts ramble  (Read 6212 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 05:08:46 am
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/common/graphics/upload/all/loctite_product_catalog.pdf

Locctite was invented by Vernon Kriebel, a retired chemistry professor. I consider him to be the father of liquid thread locking technology. He plowed his retirement into starting the company in the late 50's or early 60's. His son Robert even gave up his career to assist in the venture. As late as the mid 90's if you wanted to infringe on the good professors hard work and patents you needed better lawyers than they had. I don't know when they were acquired by the Henkel group. Before that though, I think I read that they owned Permatex for a short while.

Permatex is famous for their RTV silicones. They still make Permatex #1 ( brown, hardens ) and Permatex #2 ( green, stays soft) ,Permatex #3 ( Aviation) those three compounds were important to winning WW II and are still excellent and useful sealants in their own right.

Warning about "green" Locktite's
 There is the wicking type that is applied to bolts after assembly and gives a grip similar to the 242 blue locktite and then there are green retaining compounds.

The retaining compounds are pretty much permanent requiring heat and/or power tools for removal.

Please do not repeat my mistakes by using the wrong ones. 
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 06:35:49 am
Even the wicking one is stronger than the blue, IMHO.  That's why I said to use it on parts you "don't wish to take apart again in the near future," like frame hold bolts etc etc.  For instance I put it on my footpeg bolts and the bolt for the kickstand.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!