Author Topic: MotoGP Indianapolis  (Read 2045 times)

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
on: September 02, 2009, 01:11:19 am
I just arrived home from the Indianapolis MotoGP weekend and had a great time watching the best to what they do so well. The weather was much better this year. There was no hurricane to dampen the race; Just intermittent sun, light breezes, and mild temperatures.

Jorge Lorenzo had a nice Sunday ride to victory after Pedrosa and Rossi fell down in separate falls early in the race. Rossi couldn't continue even after trying with the broken bike but parked it after a lap. Pedrosa was fastest all weekend and moved from last to 10th at the finish.

The best racing was between positions two through five. Nicky Hayden chased DeAngelis to finish 3rd, followed by Dovizioso and Edwards. Watching the Americans finish 3rd and 5th on home turf was great fun.

The 250cc and 125cc races are usually close and action packed. Nothing different than that at this race.

We (my son and I) camped with a group from Kentucky. Great Guys. They knew how to party-hardy. Two guys camped in the same area returned from Florida. We met them last year and it was good to see them again.

OH Man! It's a whole year 'till it happens again! Bummer!
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:36:18 am
Br. Jim, thanks for sharing your MotoGP experience!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:46:33 pm
I did get into some RE discussions.  A few noticed my Logo shirt or hat and asked about the bikes.

One was an "old timer" who had one in "the old days". Two said they had been thinking about the bikes. and a few "What's an RE?" questions. All were chances to preach the praise of the venerable RE.

There was plenty happening beyond racing. Here is a view of the vendor booths all along Gasoline Ally and the Red Bull Music truck. KTM had bike demo rides. James Toseland (#52 Monster Yamaha Tech3 rider) and his band "CRASH" played Saturday Afternoon.

I couldn't resist a demo ride on the KTM 990 Super Duke. It was an awesome machine. The ride guides took us out of the track, around the square outer perimeter of the complex, through a park on the north side of the loop where there were some twisties. I thought the machine was light, quick, comfortable, and WAY POWERFUL. When making the left into the park from the busy street, I was separated from the front part of the group, and needed to catch up. On the next left turn I spun the rear tire and stepped the rear out about a foot or so. I managed to stay on and not drop the bike, but wow!, I wasn't even heavy on the throttle.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'