Author Topic: Good ride  (Read 2129 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
on: August 30, 2009, 11:26:03 am
Not much only 20 miles but better than nothing. Just after midnight. Roads quiet out out in the boondocks. Distant city lights illuminate the cloud cover. Cool and damp, light patchy fog. Cool air is dense air. Dense air is more oxygen. Boy she wants to go. We stretch our legs a bit. Revs up change gears. Flick through turns with ease. Up hill and a straight-a way.Trees give way to fields. Sputter and stumble,switch to reserve, clutch in, one-one thousand, two-one thousand, we catch our breath. Thumps of the exhaust and sounds of the valves are musical on the way back into town. Not much only 20 miles but its enough
No matter where you go, there, you are.

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 01:42:32 pm
Sounds good!  Spurs me to hop on the Beast and ride through the Alabama farmland this (Sunday) morning.  During the ride I will devise poetic ways to describe it--Hey, it will be something to think about while I absorb the rumble of the bike and the picturesque scenery!!

Later I write that I did exactly that with Sunday Morning Religion!

This morning I hopped on the bike at about 9AM to leave the country airport where I live (the rumble of the exhaust sounds good on a perfect Sunday morning).  I immediately passed a farmer on his tractor plowing his field and another loading cattle into a trailer (considered part of crop rotation).

To the West the sky was dark, so I went East on Highway 98 across the bridge into Florida planning to make a rural circuit around Pensacola.  I rode Lillian Highway along the east side of a bay and saw some kids fishing from a dock.  I took Pine Forest Road through the lush forest on each side and on past the cemetery (RIP, Joe).  Stopped at BK for a croissant and OJ (not the criminal).

I made a right onto Nine Mile Road, which was once through the country but now sprouts new businesses almost weekly.  Stuck behind some clown in a sedan that is on and off the brakes, on & off, on & off, on & off (he must take the speed limit seriously).  First chance I got I blew past him and the ride improved dramatically.  Thought about stopping to see a nice gal, but let her wait.

Five miles to a right turn on Scenic Highway, a long winding road with a (different) bay on the left.  Passed a number of beautiful homes overlooking that bay (must be nice!).  Rumbled past another cemetery before passing the famous Scenic Restaurant and Jerry’s Drive-In (landmarks known for their great food).

Rode into Pensacola from the east aiming for A Street along the Gulf of Mexico.  From about a half-mile away I can see a huge American flag that flies in front of Joe Patti’s, an excellent  seafood market and restaurant (that flag must be 8-10 feet tall and 12 to 15-feet wide).  A Street goes through an old part of town, so I have to weave to avoid all the potholes.

Near the Navy base now, until I turn North and then West back onto Highway 98, heading back towards Alabama.  Feels great to ride tucked behind a windshield, and feel the wind without it trying to blow me off the bike.  So much further to ride, but not this morning.  An hour of true  religion has cleared my head!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:47:58 pm by RAKe »
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 02:01:46 pm
That sounds great!
I love that kind of ride.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 04:34:26 pm
aahhhh, mechanical music
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:06:50 pm
Well, Br. Ice, that was a great tune!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla