Author Topic: Health and safety loons  (Read 3142 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 29, 2009, 07:58:24 pm
I bought my boy a toy cap gun to play with today - the type that takes those paper rolls of little black gun powder dots.

Unfortunately, the toy store couldn't sell any caps to go with the gun because they would need a fireworks license (in the UK) to do that.

:(

I would have thought that agreeing to keep the caps behind the counter in a tin box would have sufficed but not so in health'n safety land. When I was a boy, the toy shop guy had the cap rolls out on the counter in an open cardboard box, and he would rake through them with a cigarette dangling from his lips. Never did me any harm.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:08:20 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:14:22 pm
"When I was a boy, the toy shop guy had the cap rolls out on the counter in an open cardboard box, and he would rake through them with a cigarette dangling from his lips. Never did me any harm."  Chasfield

Amen, Br. Chas!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 08:28:54 pm
Strange world we now live in.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 09:11:10 pm
 I remember being a kid and taking the entire roll of caps and whacking them with a hammer. The noise was only about as loud as a respectable firecracker. It sounds like you are catching up to the U.S., Chasfield. We pioneered the nanny state. Another thing we can blame on the lawyers.
     Today my wife and I were out in her Hylander riding around in the rain when we came upon a sign obviously prepared by the Department of Redundancies Dept.. It stated in large letters "CAUTION PEDESTRIANS WALKING".
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 09:51:14 pm
I can remember getting on the school bus carring a .303 British Enfield rifle. I took it to shop class and refinished the stock. We all did it and no one raised an eyebrow over it, Growing up in the Arkansas hills was great.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:41:55 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 05:36:45 am
When I was a student in VA, one of my profs from GA told us how they used to take guns to school all the time. He would keep his small bore rifle in his locker and no one batted an eyelash. No one would have thought of raising the barrel or pointing it at another person.

I don't think that would work where I live now because of the way people behave around guns. Things are different from location to location, but I agree that personal responsibility is largely legislated out of our hands around the country. Whether laws or unsafe attitudes came first is kind of a chicken-and-egg debate.

Jeff

sqf

• Bulleteer
  • 07' Military-solo seat, elec ignition
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 06:34:24 am
In NY sate capguns and BB guns can not be realistic in any way, they can not be black, can not be silver, can not be grey.  They have to have orange tips and be a color other than those aforementioned.  I was recently out of town in Alabama for my five year olds birthday. That was bad, the upside is in Alabama you can get a set of two six shooter roll cap guns that are chrome, come with a cowboy holsters and the caps to go with them. My five year old is the envy of the neighborhood! 
Fir Na Dli

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:03:10 am
I can remember getting on the school bus carring a .303 British Enfield rifle. I took it to shop class and refinished the stock. We all did it and no one raised an eyebrow over it, Growing up in the Arkansas hills was great.

Heard a similar story from a family friend here in Michigan. Sporterized a .303 as a shop product, transporting on the bus daily to and from school. After he got older he started THIS kid off collecting firearms!

My dad and friends used to have thier guns in the car at school so they could take of hunting when the bell rang.

Nobody freaked out and nobody got hurt.....try that now!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!