Author Topic: Anti virus questions  (Read 9315 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 02:06:31 am
We are going to test ride Avast.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

StephenCB

• Bulleteer
  • I finally own one!
Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 07:20:43 pm
Another one that I have had success with is Avira.  Much much smaller footprint than McAfee or Norton.

The one thing I do have an issue with Avira is the "nag" screen that pops up (asking you to consider upgrading to the pay version) when it is doing the full system scan, but one click of the mouse and it's gone.

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 09:47:53 pm
Avira actually let me down whilst having it running on a media centre.  Caused me hours of work.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 02:42:32 am
  I downloaded and ran AVG today. I had to cut the first scan short to download,sign and fax a document. It deleted seven problems. But it also listed a mess of tracking cookies. I didn't see a means to delete them. Anyone know if AVG will delete these tracking cookies. My rather old and outdated computer (a hand-me-down that we actually bought for one of our kids years ago to use at college) is operating excruciatingly slow, and goes into brain fart mode, especially when we go to check our email at yahoo.com. Often when it does this, it shows it is waiting for "adyieldmanager".

Thanks, Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 03:11:28 am
 But it also listed a mess of tracking cookies. I didn't see a means to delete them. Anyone know if AVG will delete these tracking cookies

Thanks, Jon

To find and delete tracking cookies you can use "Spybot - Search & Destroy" or "Ad-Aware". Both have free versions.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
2002 Bullet ES

StephenCB

• Bulleteer
  • I finally own one!
Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 03:13:36 am
Avira actually let me down whilst having it running on a media centre.  Caused me hours of work.
Hmm, important to know.  It had been climbing up in the ratings on download.com

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 01:29:48 pm
  I downloaded and ran AVG today. I had to cut the first scan short to download,sign and fax a document. It deleted seven problems. But it also listed a mess of tracking cookies. I didn't see a means to delete them. Anyone know if AVG will delete these tracking cookies. My rather old and outdated computer (a hand-me-down that we actually bought for one of our kids years ago to use at college) is operating excruciatingly slow, and goes into brain fart mode, especially when we go to check our email at yahoo.com. Often when it does this, it shows it is waiting for "adyieldmanager".

Thanks, Jon

Tracking cookies (as far as I know) are just cookies that you don't want around, so you can use the cookie deletion options in the browser to knock 'em out.

In Firefox 2 under Linux  you would select Edit/Preferences/Privacy/Show cookies to bring up options to point and zap individual cookies or zap the whole lot.

I regularly zap all of mine at the cost of losing a bit of local customization on my favourite web sites.

I assume that IE will let you do the same - though one never knows with M!cros0ft stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if it background e-mailed the whole lot to the FBI twice a week whatever you do.

;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:35:39 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 08:02:18 pm
Hmm, important to know.  It had been climbing up in the ratings on download.com

Yeah it was nasty.  I was running it on an xp media centre and really happy as it took up hardly any memory but...  Sorry I cant remember the name of the trojan that got through but it not only deleted all file associations (including system ones) but took out all of the shortcut paths in the whole system.  Ended up not being able to run anything without half an hours research..  AVG identified it later after using the hd as an external on another system and cleaned it up but the damage was done and after a few days of trying I had to do a complete reinstall...  Will only test things on old systems in the office now.  AVG or Avast for me...

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 06:39:47 am
Spybot is a bit slow nowadays.  The free version of Malwarebytes is much better.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

greenie

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 10:10:31 pm
using ESET nod32 on pc w/vista. wasn't free,but worth the money. much better and lighter weight than kaspersky. no problems. 8)
95 ural tourist w/ 98 motor (650)
06 electra

fenrirlupus

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 05:09:19 am
I use Linux or Mac, which don't need anti-virus software.

Linux will feel familiar to the Bullet, in that you'll have to tinker to make it work the way you want.  ;)

Jeff
I second that statement about linux.  I bought a used  powermac g4...  was it a year ago?  it's faster than my linux pc was, and mac os is nice, but i do miss linux...  it was fun to type all sorts of stuff into the terminal without having much experience, and wondering what sort of problems i was causing...  i typed the wrong thing once, and couldn't get back to the login screen.  after that, i was a bit more careful about following the instructions i got off the ubuntu forum...

i'd have to suggest getting a mac or installing linux on your machine.  you'll never have to deal with anti-spyware or virus protection again, and the guys on the ubuntu forum can tell you how to do anything...  windows fanatics or the ignorant will tell you that linux won't be able to run your windows programs...  but the truth is...  you can absolutely run your windows programs, it just takes a bit of tinkering.