Author Topic: Anti virus questions  (Read 9332 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
on: August 29, 2009, 06:01:47 am
What do our resident tech freaks and plain ol end useras think a bout McCaffe, Norton and Avast anti virus these days?

Thanks
Ice
No matter where you go, there, you are.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:11:00 am
I use Linux or Mac, which don't need anti-virus software.

Linux will feel familiar to the Bullet, in that you'll have to tinker to make it work the way you want.  ;)

Jeff

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:44:43 am
Norton and McCrappe are just system hogs.
I use the free version of Avast and it's not bad, but probably not the highest rated AV. AVG is supposed to be pretty good.
2002 Bullet ES

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:52:29 am
I second AVG Free or Avast. Both are good and not too much of system hogs although AVG is slightly simpler Avast has more configurable options.

AVG has never let me down never let me down yet on yet on various PC's from xp through to Win7..

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:45:35 pm
I have been using Mandriva Linux for a couple of years, so I am not up to speed on WIndows AV software. However, as I remember:

Norton was a system resource hog and didn't seem to want to let go of the PC when I un-installed it - it left bits of itself lying around in memory.

Mcafee seemed to have less performance impact and I had great faith in the product from deploying it on networks that I looked after over a 10 year period.

I used AVG for a couple of years without any problems.

The last thing I tried before moving to Linux  was Panda anti-virus, and that wrote thousands of log files to the hard disk, which took twenty minutes to delete when I gave up on it and went back to AVG.

Linux is a good family of secure, high performance, free operating systems. I just wish it was underpinned by a universal method for installing programs, and standardization of driver software for connected devices (with proper OEM support).
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 01:50:58 pm
I've used AVG free version for years, and I think it's good.

A big improvement for me was switching to Mozilla Firefox as my browser, instead of using Internet Explorer. Alot of the viruses and spyware are targeted at Internet Explorer, and they don't get into Firefox . Just using Firefox lowers your chances of infection, and Firefox is a great browser. The multiple tab browsing selection is a great feature, and I like Firefox alot more than IE.

I have some computer geek friends that use Linux. They like it, but they all tell me that it's more for computer-savvy type people, and there are some things that you have to work around, and some things don't work with it. They are all software engineers, so it's no big deal for them.
So, that's why I haven't gone there.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 02:03:03 pm
Also, Firefox is much faster loading than IE  on Windows PCs and it is the browser of choice under Linux because Microsoft disdain to support this OS.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 03:38:08 pm
I use Avast, Windows Defender and Firefox.
Both free and don't affect any of the other programs on my PC.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 04:12:28 pm
I agree with Ace and others about Firefox. Much safer than IE and only use IE when a site refuses to run on Firefox. I also use a plug-in for Firefox called NoScript. http://noscript.net/

It will prevent JavaScript, Java and Flash from running unless you approve it. If you want these to run on a site you have to click the NoScript icon and approve the site or page. As it learns your approved sites, this becomes less frequent.

I think this is a good plug-in to have because scripts, in many cases, are a bigger threat than viruses.
2002 Bullet ES

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 05:50:21 pm
i run McAfee as a anti-virus and Google Chrome as my browser. yes, McAfee is a bit of a system hog, but it works pretty well nonetheless. i get it for free, so i can't really complain. what i REALLY love is Chrome, which asks me every time i download an exe or related file if i want to keep it or not. if it's a file i didn't want downloaded, i just discard it and it's like it never happened...

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 06:13:38 pm
What do our resident tech freaks and plain ol end useras think a bout McCaffe, Norton and Avast anti virus these days?

Thanks
Ice

After about 15 years I just switched from Mcaffee on my and my kids computers (4 total) to BitDefender. Mcafee seemed to forget just whose computers they were! (And that was manifested in many ways, for example, not allowing me to cancel an ongoing scan when I chose to.)

Matt

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 06:19:45 pm
Just FYI, tucows.com is a good website for finding free software like virus and malware scanners.

Jeff

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 08:04:55 pm
Thanks fella's.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 04:21:54 am
Avast! anti-virus is my favorite.  Smallest system footprint, and free.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 04:43:36 pm
Avast....McAfee and norton blow. McAfee blows real hard
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic