HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

2002 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 07, 2016, 08:07:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Right Hand Shift Transmisison Newbie Question  (Read 2554 times)

Gearhead

• Neophyte
  • You gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid
Right Hand Shift Transmisison Newbie Question
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:40:36 pm »
I am a newbie. I have a 1999 4 speed. I like the idea of a right hand shift bike, I see this transmission on sale at www.royalenfieldusa.com , at this link
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/4speed-transmission-complete-with-clutch-pi-7213.html?image=0It says it is a right hand shift transmission. Is it all I would need, or is there more to it than meets the eye? I posted this same question in the campfire section and know that most boards don't like more than one post. Any advice about where it fits the best?
Gearhead

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Right Hand Shift Transmisison Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:04:33 pm »
uh I seem to be lost.. deju vu... 

Gearhead

• Neophyte
  • You gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:44:30 pm »
Oh Oh, I definitely over posted this question. I will write to the moderator and beg forgiveness, thanks for all of the help on my other boringly similar posts.
Gearhead

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 07:55:29 am »
I just got a RH shift conversion for my 95 4-Speed Bobber project.  I will post more when I get around to installing it!
Geichal

Trapper

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 11:01:26 am »
I installed the right hand conversion kit that REUSA sells. It was very straight forward to install, but I would recommend getting familiar with Snidel's book before installing it. The bike was meant to be right hand shift - it really works flawlessly now! No missed shifts, a firm gear shift feel - I would recommend this to anyone.

I switched to gear lube at the same time by venting the gear box and changing the outboard mainshaft bearing to a sealed type. I am using 70w90 synthetic and this also improved the feel (and reduced the noise) of the gear box.

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 01:02:57 pm »
+1 on the RHS conversion.  That "Continental" linkage setup is a Rube Goldberg nightmare!

I first tried the DRS bushing setup, and it was an improvement. But, as my father used to say "You can't polish a terd".

Once I converted back to the way God and Queen intended the bike to be - it was like a religious awakening. Holy crap! this thing actually WORKS! It was a beautiful thing. That is, for the 2 weeks I rode it that way before I got dinged by a hit-and-run driver on my Bajaj and messed up my right ankle, losing the range of motion needed to downshift  >:(
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus